SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By mac
Hi all,

I have in mind a project which involves a set of nRF chips used in very short range (<5m) but in quite harsh condition: transmitter temperature may vary from -10C (14F) to 37C(98F body temp), and receiver may come less than -10C.

So this means that both set could either operating at same (low) temperature, or with a huge difference between them.

Is there some people with practical experience about these conditions?
By leon_heller
-10C won't be a problem for the electronics, it's within the standard industrial range for components. You need to select the battery with some care, many have problems even at -10C.

Leon
By lyndon
I haven't used that particular chip, but I have used a Bluetooth module outside at sub 0F temperatures. I used a NiMH battery.

Check the version of the chip. While -10C is within the Industrial/Automotive range as leon_heller said, Commercial range is normally only 0-70C.
By leon_heller
The Nordic chips are Industrial range.

Leon
By RonnyM
Check crystal tolerances. Some crystals may be pulled enough to affect operating frequency. Also, the loading caps may cause issues if they are not npo types.
Ron
By mac
Yes I know that nRF are rated to -40, but I also know from experience that it doesn't mean anything, especially for RF subsystems.
Since it uses standard 60ppm crystal, I just want to make sure that temp differences are ok.

Anyway, I have ordered some nRF24L01 and nRF2402 to play with.