SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By gkeeslin
I have a BlueSMiRF connected to an ATmega32. The Tx-O from the SMiRF is connected to the Rx pin of the micro and the Rx-I is connected to the Tx of the micros USART, like the BlueSMiRF datasheet says to do.

Data is getting sent from the micro to the SMiRF because i can watch the ouput on a terminal screen. I cannot send data from the terminal to the SMiRF and have it pass on to the micro.

I hooked a standard seriel cable up the micro from the computer and have pefect full-duplex communication, but I only get half-duplex with the BlueSMiRF. I am not using the CTS or RTS pins of the SMiRF. Am I wiring/coding it wrong or do i possibly have a bad SMiRF?
By frdchang
hey,

i have the same problem:

the test code i'm using sends numbers continuously [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9] and keeps repeating until i hit 'z', of which the microcontroller stops sending numbers and then echos 'z'.

any other letter pressed will resume sending the numbers..

this is when bluesmirf will not detect my keypresss of 'z'.

i believe this is happening:

when i keep sending numbers, the bluesmirf is preoccupied sending the numbers so it does not detect my input.

------

to test, i had my microcontroller only spit out a number when i press 'z' so as not to saturate the bluesmirf.

and in this case, the bluesmirf does respond and works like a charm.

i think there is something i don't understand with the bluesmirf stack, so i will read the blue radios datasheet tonight.

i think i can't just naively assume the bluesmirf will work just like a serial cable.

cheers,
fred
By frdchang
hey,

i just turned on fast mode and now the bluesmirf responds to my keyboard commands even when it is streaming data to me.

so i guess parsing out AT commands saturated its buffer (or something to that effect)

luckily i also purchased the bluesmirf version with hardware handshaking, which the datasheets mention that i'll get a more reliable conection with further distances.

cheers,
fred