SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By angelsix
OK I need 2 things... a PIC chip that can do wireless (thinking bluetooth ideally), and info on sensors (like reverse parking sensors) and how to use them.

Where can I start with regards getting a PIC chip recieving data wirelessly, and how to implement it etc... something extremely simple like turning an LED on and off to start with would be brill.

The sensors are an after thought I can come to later.
By leon_heller
Have you checked the Microchip web site?

Leon
By angelsix
Yes I've ended up here http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... &nodeId=76, then gone to the bottom link and taken a look at the products and generally browsed around, but not sure of what trans go with what receivers and vice versa, or about the general design idea behind them.

I was hoping for a good book or tutorial explaining the latest chips or good designs that state what components you need, and how they work, and shows you working design schematics etc...

I could do the leg work myself if I were told the parts needed to get a basic design where I press a button on one board that lights and LED on another. No need for speed, encryption, security etc.. just plain old wireless no frills.

Once I get there I need to look at going up, but to start with just need to get my head around and see and make a working design.
By stevech
angelsix wrote:Yes I've ended up here http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... &nodeId=76, then gone to the bottom link and taken a look at the products and generally browsed around, but not sure of what trans go with what receivers and vice versa, or about the general design idea behind them.

I was hoping for a good book or tutorial explaining the latest chips or good designs that state what components you need, and how they work, and shows you working design schematics etc...
In your survey, consider IEEE 802.15.4. Standard. Non-proprietary. Many, many vendors for both chps and plug-n-play modules. A popular one with students/hobby folks is Digi's XBee series 1. SFE sells them. There are perhaps 20 module vendors and 10 chip vendors.
By funnynypd
Microchip does have one powerful wireless module to be released which will have 4000 ft range. The price should be in the US$13-2x range.
By angelsix
Thanks for all the fast responses! I will read into them all.

Once I get a wireless project working, I would like to move onto one that has a 13 meter (40ft) range.
By angelsix
http://www.digi.com/technology/wireless/products.jsp
XBee® 802.15.4 Radio Modems

Very much liking the looks of this module. Will it have the ability to do some sort of pairing between module so they can be interchanged, for example 3 modules, and all can be implemented using a PIC chip or something so that by pressing a button module A and B pair, pressing another means module B and C pair etc... or can they be placed into a discovery mode?

The only reason I am looking at this option to start with instead of doing my own implementation of a wireless chip is the timescale I have for the project, so this would be brilliant if I could get it out-of-the-box working.
By stevech
angelsix wrote:http://www.digi.com/technology/wireless/products.jsp
XBee® 802.15.4 Radio Modems

Very much liking the looks of this module. Will it have the ability to do some sort of pairing between module so they can be interchanged, for example 3 modules, and all can be implemented using a PIC chip or something so that by pressing a button module A and B pair, pressing another means module B and C pair etc... or can they be placed into a discovery mode?

The only reason I am looking at this option to start with instead of doing my own implementation of a wireless chip is the timescale I have for the project, so this would be brilliant if I could get it out-of-the-box working.
Read up on 802.15.4.
Beware difference between Digi's XBee series 1 and series 2. The latter is mostly if you want the complexity and sophistication of meshing via ZigBee. Series 1 for simple star and fixed cluster tree, and the best for most hobby/robot scenarios: peer to peer direct, no PAN coordinator.

802.15.4 radios have source and destination addresses just like ethernet. And a broadcast address. And MAC layer ACKs like 802.11.

XBee series 1 comes with standard firmware from Digi to do serial port extension wirelessly, transparent. And automatic A/D and digital I/O via wireless, to n nodes, with no firmware development. Just uses Hayes Modem AT-like commands.

To be fair, there are many other 802.15.4 modules, ready to go, from Jennic, ST, OKI, Panasonic, et al. XBee is sold here and is very simple to use and has pin/socket rather than surface mount.

2.4GHz XBee PRO (higher power option) with the right antennas can go a mile. There's a more costly 900MHz version (US 900MHz) that can go farther, though antenna gain = big antennas at 900MHz so net sum gain of lower freq is zip.

Now consider too graduating from the crude PIC bank switching kludge to Atmel AVR or brand x ARM7.

estudio mucho
By angelsix
All I need to do is have 2 points connected wirelessly, but the 2 points will be changing all the time. For example I will have 5 of point A modules, and 5 of point B modules. Depending on human interaction, I want to allow them to be able to pick any 2 modules and pair them. From there they should send small packets of data across 13 meters going though internal structures similair to a house setup.

I have spoken to Digi themselves and they seem to be advising a 9TX or 9XE or something (don't have the email on me) as the best solution. What do you guys think is the best solution from them or others?
By stevech
angelsix wrote:All I need to do is have 2 points connected wirelessly, but the 2 points will be changing all the time. For example I will have 5 of point A modules, and 5 of point B modules. Depending on human interaction, I want to allow them to be able to pick any 2 modules and pair them. From there they should send small packets of data across 13 meters going though internal structures similair to a house setup.

I have spoken to Digi themselves and they seem to be advising a 9TX or 9XE or something (don't have the email on me) as the best solution. What do you guys think is the best solution from them or others?
Use XBee series one. Use them in a peer to peer network scenario, no PAN coordinator. You merely set the desired destination address for data, send, handshake with the receiver via whatever messaging you devise. Then change and send to a different MAC address. And vice versa. Peer to peer, rather than all nodes sending to PAN coordinator, or a complex mesh.

It's quite easy.