SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By vup
Hello

Has anyone made range tests with the blueradios modules?
I'm especially interested to hear how long distances can be used between two modules with the chip antenna in open space. Also, how much would a better antenna in the other end increase the range?
Any experiences are welcome.

Regards,
vup
By sparky
Hi,

The Bluetooth modules have a pretty good distance of ~200-300ft line of sight. The MiRFs are slightly better, but the Bluetooth connection is rock solid.

-Nathan
By vup
sparky wrote:Hi,

The Bluetooth modules have a pretty good distance of ~200-300ft line of sight. The MiRFs are slightly better, but the Bluetooth connection is rock solid.

-Nathan
Thank you for the information. Anyone got longer distances? :) I noticed that blueradios has a module with external antenna connector and they say: "The Bluetooth Male SMA 1/2 wave coaxial dipole external swivel antenna will provide increase performance +200 meters." But I guess it's only when both ends got a better antenna.

btw. Looking forward for those app notes.

Regards,
vup
By NleahciM
vup wrote:
sparky wrote:Hi,

-Nathan
Thank you for the information. Anyone got longer distances? :) I noticed that blueradios has a module with external antenna connector and they say: "The Bluetooth Male SMA 1/2 wave coaxial dipole external swivel antenna will provide increase performance +200 meters." But I guess it's only when both ends got a better antenna.

btw. Looking forward for those app notes.

Regards,
vup
A better antenna on just one end would in fact increase range in both directions. A better antenna on both ends would increase it even more :)
By vup
NleahciM wrote:A better antenna on just one end would in fact increase range in both directions. A better antenna on both ends would increase it even more :)
Yes, I would assume so. What I meant was that the +200 meters they state is given for a antenna pair.
Now I'm not sure if this +200 means "up to 200" or "more than 200"..

Regards,
vup