SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By drwho9437
I'd like to have the BlueSMiRF call me rather than me call the BlueSMiRF.

When BlueSMiRF is detected, it is assigned two COM ports COM3 outgoing, COM 4 incoming in my case.

After pairing the device once with
AT+BTPAR=1, 001583BF86AC, which returns a long number and windows says it is fine after I follow a few steps...

I establish the connection with:
AT+BTCLT=001583BF86AC, 1 (service 1 is "serial" service of my USB dongle)

This makes the radio light on steady AND windows says that it is connected to the Sparkfun BT device

The terminal connected to the inputs of the BlueSMiRF responds to the BTCLT command with OK

However, it does not appear to enter data mode. Subsequent typing is not echoed, however typing "ATI" and hitting enter results in "ERROR" as does any string.

AT+BTSRV=1 also responds OK however subsequent typing does not result in a reply from the BlueSMiRF, which corresponds to the expected behavior of the device.

During these operations I am connected in another terminal to COM4.

My goal here is simple.

Boot the BlueSMiRF. With it hard wired to a serial port.
Send AT commands to make a connection to my computer.
See what I type on the first terminal on a second terminal.

I have a good reason for wanting to do the connection 'backwards'. Forward works fine.

I'll keep trying but I'm fresh out of ideas right now, so I'm hoping someone else has done this already.
By drwho9437
So the problem was using the service number and not reading carefully the port was different...

If you connect to the wrong port it goes into this odd state of saying OK but not really exiting command mode