SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By pw
Situation as follows:

I have the Firefly set in Auto Master mode.

I am trying to save a remote address in the Firefly BT module. I do the old "SR,remote address" command and get back AOK.

I then do the R,1 command to reboot, as it says "***SET COMMANDS***stored in flash, and only take effect AFTER reboot"

I then power off the module and set the DIP switches with
1, off
2, on
3, on
4, off

I then power up my firefly (master) and another sparkfun BT module I have (slave) and no connection gets made.

When I do the D command it shows all the correct settings for Baud rate, Mode, etc, but does not save the remote address I had entered previously.

Although, right after I set the remote address using the SR command and then do the C command, the firefly connects to the other BT module.

I want the firefly to connect to its slave (which I have set as slave) automatically. Neither BT device has authentication or encryption enabled.

Question:

What am I missing or doing incorrectly. Can anyone help please
By phishguy
I think that you need to set switch 2 off. If it is on, it will try to search for a partner device with a matching class.

from the manual

2-Auto Discover Mode - In Slave mode, sets a special class of device which is used by a remote Master to auto connect. If switch 3 is also set, the device performs a search, stores, and connects to a remote slave which has switch 2 set.

I use the RN-41 module without switches. So, effectively all swiches are off and I make all settings from the command line.
By pw
Thanks phishguy

I will try that.

But, I noticed something else. It seems the flash memory was not saving the remote address even after I rebooted it.

I then decided to make the Firefly a slave and when I did a remote address which had obviously been entered before and which I did not recognize showed up when I did D command.

I think the remote address in the flash memory is not being over-written.

In some way I have to delete the remote address in the flash memory.

Does anyone know how to do this. Does going back to Factory default accomplish this?
By pw
Hello all

I finally got my Firefly to work correctly and connect to a Sparkfun BlueSmirf.

The BlueSmirf is the slave and the Firefly is the master (in Auto Master Mode)

I was having trouble getting the Firefly to save the remote address of the BlueSmirf

This changed after I put the Firefly into slave mode. Only then was I able to set the new remote address. This was followed by putting it into Auto Master Mode again and then setting the bonding with the remote (with "SB,1" command). After each change I made to the flash memory I rebooted the Firefly ("R,1" command) and powered it off then on again.

However, the Firefly only auto connects when I have the DIP switches set as follows:

1,on
2,off
3,on
4,off

Regards to all and hope this info is useful