SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By myjcha
I am very new in this field. I want to have a some sort of RF transceiver to control lights wirelessely. But the problem is that I do not know anything on nRF2401A or programming into PIC. I learned how to blink and flash LEDs but other than that, I am totally in the dark.

Anyway, I bought 2 nRF2401A to start with. But the code SPE provided on their product website, I got little confused. I think I understood most of stuff and how things flow inside the code but somethings are totally new to me.

What is "uns8" or "uns16" or "uns24"?
Also, in a comment, it says, "Take a look at header files - its not that hard to setup the UART"

But what is UART? I tried to find it in PIC16F88 document but no luck. Can anyone help me out here?

Also, let's say I connect nRF2401A to PIC. Then once I turn on the power, what will be transmitted or received??

My appology if my questions were so stupid and non-sense.
And thanks for your help.
By lou
myjcha wrote:What is "uns8" or "uns16" or "uns24"?
I don't actually know, but my guess is that they might be typedefs for 8, 16, and 24 bit unsigned integers.
myjcha wrote:But what is UART? I tried to find it in PIC16F88 document but no luck. Can anyone help me out here?
A UART is a Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter. It is a device which produces/receives serial bitstreams of the type you may be familiar with in the context of an RS/232 serial port. Many microcontrollers have UARTs or USARTs onboard. A USART is like a UART, but with synchronous functionality as well.
By myjcha
Thanks, Lou.

One other thing. In RF-24G-Example.c file from SFE, it mentions about
"Delay.c" and "Stdio.c" file. I found "Stdio.c" file on SFE website but I cannot find "Delay.c" file.

Can anyone link this please?

Thank you!