SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By esenlik
Hello all,

I made a big mistake while configuring the Lassen IQ. I was trying to configure the gps to output nmea and I did the following:
Iq_monitor-> Congigure-> Serial Port Configuration:

for Port1:

Protocol In: TSIP
Protocol Out: NMEA
Baud Rate: 4800
Data Bits: 8
Parity: odd
Stop bits: 1

Now, I cant reset the gps back to both TSIP format b/c the tsip works with baud 9600 and it doesnt understand any tsip instructions I send. None of the Factory, cold etc works.

Is there a way that I can reset the flash??

Thanks.
By gambrose
If use IO monitor to set the same settings again and press yes to change PC settings to match you should still be able to talk to it.
By esenlik
gambrose, thanks for your reply.

I am using IQ_monitor, but I dont see any option such as 'press yes to change PC settings'. Id appreciate if you can tell me how to get there.
Thanks.
By gambrose
Iq_monitor-> Congigure-> Serial Port Configuration:

Then set the same settings and enter. You should get a pop up message asking if you want to change PC settings to match (click yes)

then in the status bar at the bottom it will say 4800 baud not the usual 9600
By sparky
This is a very icky catch-22. If you arbitrarily change the port settings on the Lassen module, it will happily go to it.

You must be able to correctly communicate at that speed/settings to issue it a factory reset.

What happens when one forgets or mistakes these settings? I don't have an answer. You might start trying every combo of options. Trimble support may have some recommendations as well.

-Nathan
By sparky
Luck of the draw. 15 minutes later, Wade at Trimble Tech support gets me this response :
I have attached a program for detecting com setting but will only work with the TSIP protocol. If the receiver is using the TAIP or NMEA out it will not work. The only other way is to try each known baud rates sending a TSIP reset command. Very time consuming as we do not have a hardware reset.
Way to go Trimble! Here is a link to the software:http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/GPS/sps.zip

Looks great - I haven't tried it yet.

-Nathan
By esenlik
thanks Nathan, I ll try it out.
By esenlik
I tried the sps detector, it doesnt detect, it just hangs there.
By dthompson5
I just received the Proto board today and have already screwed up an SQ module, I did the same thing and am unable to change it. Any ideas or were you able to reset your IQ? I set it to output NMEA for Microsoft Streets & Trips and now the SQ will not respond to any TSIP commands.

for Port1:

Protocol In: TSIP
Protocol Out: NMEA
Baud Rate: 4800
Data Bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1

thanks,
By mdown
Is it possible to send the reset command via the secondary port, also is there a pin to tie low or high on powerup that resets the unit?
By mdown
And the sps program does not work on my pc it just pops a msg box and says "could not open selected comm port", however IQ_Chat can open it just fine but displays gibberish.
By geekything
I appear to be having the same problem! Got my proto board a week ago, and now my iQ doesn't respond.

If I bring it back to life, I'll let you know.

-marc
By geekything
Who'd a thunk it: set the serial port to TSIP/TSIP/9600-8-N-1 and magically she came back to life. Spent like an hour fiddling with settings the other day without results ;-)

-marc
By dthompson5
I was finally able to perform a reset after many hours of baud rate combinations.
By tinkerer
I had the same problem after selecting NMEA for the first port: the unit didn'd seem to respond anymore. Even made a simple hex terminal program, but still no luck. Extra complication was that my Lassen is connected to a USB virtual comport with an FT232BM chip. IQchat didn't seem to understand that. Finally told IQmonitor to set the first port to TSIP,NMEA,4800,8,N,1 (the setting after which I lost contact) and after that the coldstart seemed to do something (blinking XMT LED from NMEA sentences stopped). Then I switched the port to TSIP,TSIP,9600,8,O,1 (factory default) and presto! Took me a few nights to find out.....