SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Keith
I purchased a Bluetooth Modem - BlueSMiRF Silver and having connection issues. Hope someone can help. I am using on a PC/xpsp2 native drivers. First I must say I have one of their older models and it worked from the get-go!

The BlueSMiRF Silver communicates from a Pic 16f88 (as did the other one that works) but all I get is garbage out this new one. So that sounds like the baud rate or other setting are not the same as the PC. One problem is that I can't figure out how to get into the command mode. I have tried all different combination. Reading the doc. it says to use the escape char. which is +++ as the default. I get no response from it. I'm using HyperTerminal on the PC. I have tried all the possible baud rates on the PC but no luck. If I could figure out how to get into the command mode I could set the baud rate on the device or at least see what it is. Anybody have an ideas where to go from here?
By Billbo911
Keith wrote:Reading the doc. it says to use the escape char. which is +++ as the default. I get no response from it. I'm using HyperTerminal on the PC.
Keith, I just purchased the BlueSMiRF Gold. I was having the same issue getting into Command mode. I was using the same "+++" to attempt to get in. Then I realized, I had for some KnuckleHeaded reason misread the latest documentation. :oops:
The correct command is "$$$" to get into command mode.
Double check the documentation, it may be the same for the Silver. Also, make sure you attempt to switch to command mode during the first 60 seconds after power up.
By Keith
I think they are two different chips on the devices. The silver is a BGB203 and not a roving network device. The BGB203 doc. indicates to use the +++, I did try what you sugguested and still no luck.