SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By RobotJay
Hi everyone.

I designed a board that utilizes the Roving Networks' SMD module. After having over-volted my first module, I purchased a replacement and promptly ripped the solder pad off of the TX line on the module. *doh!*

I notice in the datasheet for the module that there are connections for D+ and D-, which would seem to correspond to USB lines. Can these be connected to the appropriate lines of a USB connector to create a wireless USB link? Does BlueTooth even have a high enough bitrate to match USB speeds? Your help is greatly appreciated.

-Jay
By stevech
no, USB over bluetooth is not practical.

Wireless USB has been in work for some time, using Ultrawideband (UWB). Due to immature technology and severe FCC power limits for UWB, wireless USB isn't viable now.

But wireless USB was intended for tomorrow's gigabit rate streaming media for short distances, like 30 ft.
By RobotJay
stevech wrote:no, USB over bluetooth is not practical.
*sigh* I was afraid of that. Looks like SF gets another $50 for my idiocy. Just out of curiosity, what are the D+/- connections for? Are there any datasheets/app notes for their intended purpose?

-Jay

ASIDE: Anyone looking for RX only is welcome to have my broken part. MSG me if you want it.
By stevech
Ah hindsight.

caveat emptor.

Research/ask before buying, unless you know you know what you don't know. ( ??? )
By RobotJay
Franklin97355 wrote:Read page 3
?????

I did. That's how I knew that D+ and D- exist on the module. Thanks for the help though.

What I need are notes on the driver that might be created to interface these lines. I assume these lines are intended to be be used by a usb host in a dongle. There's a chance that I can use the on-board 32-bit processors in my design to act as a USB host, where I can then use the D+ and D- lines to simulate a BlueTooth network link.

Does anyone know anything about the D+/- lines other than their pin numbers? Thanks.

-Jay