SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By jmoyer
How would one add an external antenna to the RF-24G? I need to put one in a metal box.

Of course, the easiest way would be for Spark Fun to offer such an RF-24G variant as a product. Any chance of that?
By geekything
There's an app note on Nordicsemi website for a single-ended 50Ohm antenna.

-marc
By jmoyer
Yes, this is what I want, but I'd like Spark Fun to offer an RF-24G with this configuration instead of the built-in antenna.
By SOI_Sentinel
Well, the 24G's are made by Laipac, Sparkfun's just a distributor. However, if you ask REALLY NICELY maybe they'll make a MiRF pair for you that has an SMA connector instead of a PCB antenna. Then you should be able to use any stock WiFi antenna with it.
By Pete-O
Yeah, this is something we've been kicking around. How hard would it be to put an SMA footprint on a MiRF board?

I wouldn't be surprised if you see it before too long...

Pete
By Zman
I'll tell you a big secret, guys :-)
Laipac is not manufacturer, they are also a distributors
Original manufacturer is Wenshing Electronics Co. LTD
it is all made in China! ;-)

see for yourself
By sparky
Yea. We know : http://www.sparkfun.com/cgi-bin/phpbb/v ... .php?t=493

We've bought from Wenshing. They're so horrible to deal with to the point we are going to drop them.

Instead, we have received so much interest in the MiRF that we are continuing with it.

The next MiRF will be 40% the size (that's right, 60% smaller) than the Wenshing part.

-Nathan
By Zman
hi, Nathan

sorry, did not see that topic before, just pulled off the TRW-2.4G cover :)

nice job on MiRF !
any plans to design an amplifier to extend the distance ?
By sparky
Again - we are kicking around the idea. I'd like to, but somewhere I remember reading that anything over 0dB requires FCC approval. Not sure.

It adds complexity and cost. Right now it seems the short range devices are great for 80% of our customers.

-Nathan