SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By HenningNT
Hi all!

I'm sending 8192 bytes through nRF24L01, using Brennens library on ATMega168.

The bandwidth archived so far is 338kbit/s with auto ack, and 478 kbit/s without.

I've modified tutorial 2 heavily, and what I'm doing is basiclly a start and stop thing: Upload a packet. When IRQ fires, upload next packet, and so on... The CE line is never low, so the nRF24L01 goes from TX MODE to Standby-II, and back again.

However, I would like to have higher bandwidth. I want to poll the FIFO_STATUS register to see if the TX FIFO is full. If it it's not full, then I can upload a new packet, which gets transmitted as soon as the previous packet has been sent.

Like this:
Code: Select all
while ( count < NUM_PACKETS)
{
	while (!nrf24l01_fifo_tx_full())
	{
		// upload new packet
		datas[0] = count & 0xFF;	// low byte of counter
		datas[1] = (count >> 8);		//high byte of counter
		nrf24l01_write_tx_payload(datas, PAYLOAD_SIZE, false); //upload to nRF
		count++;
}
}
But it's not working :( Any suggestions?

The nrf24l01_fifo_tx_full() seems to return false wether or not the TX FIFO is full or not, so the program constantly pumps data into the nRF24L01 causing massive packet loss.
By brennen
I looked through that function, and I can't see any problems with it from a code standpoint. You could try printing out the value of the FIFO_STATUS register that you're reading to see if the values look valid.

Another way to do what you're doing is to load up 3 packets to the TX FIFO to fill it up intitially, then start sending them. Then, when the IRQ fires, load one more packet up. That way, you'll always have a full buffer (until you've sent all the packets you want to send).

You aren't clearing the TX FIFO out in your code, are you? If you are calling nrf24l01_flush_tx() or nrf24l01_clear_flush(), this could be a problem.
By HenningNT
Seems I didn't do the reception code properly. If I check RX FIFO and reads out data until it's empty, it looks like it's working. At least for three bytes :wink: