SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By 2bluesc
Has anyone used the Lantronix MatchPort B/G embedded device server? I'm curious about using it for an upcoming project and am curious if anyone has any throughput and range test data.

Or if anyone has any recommendations for 100m+ and almost 1Mbit/s of throughput wirelessly? I keep looking at the nrf24l01 with an external power amplifier but fear building wireless hardware.

- Kyle
By davemaster
2bluesc wrote:Has anyone used the Lantronix MatchPort B/G embedded device server? I'm curious about using it for an upcoming project and am curious if anyone has any throughput and range test data.

Or if anyone has any recommendations for 100m+ and almost 1Mbit/s of throughput wirelessly? I keep looking at the nrf24l01 with an external power amplifier but fear building wireless hardware.

- Kyle

Greetings,

Actually I'm using lantronix Matchport B/G on a project, and works perfectly. The range depends on the WLAN Configuration/Setup: antennas, repeaters, signal power; WiFi matters.

So, the range depends on the WiFi equipment used... if you secure a specific area. The nrf24l01 i think doent have WiFi protocol support, as fast it has multiple channels software managed.... it's that true?. The Matchport has everything: security, protocol, TCP, UDP, email alert, etc, etc.

Best regards
By stevech
I've used the older WiPort for 11b.
11b will tend to have longer range than 11g because 11b supports a less aggressive bit rate on the air link at the lowest choice.

If I were you, I'd try to get the application to use sub 100Kbps net after all overhead. Then you can use 802.15.4 modules; plug and play.

If not, then Lantronix is a good choice. But the lowest cost MatchPorts as I recall are WiFi to serial bridges and the 115Kbaud or so rate of the serial port becomes the constraint.