SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Shift
Hey, sorry if this comes out a bit noobish, but thats what i am when it comes to this.

Hypothetically, I would like to make a beanie with wireless headphones integrated. It would be great if somebody would help me through some initial questions. Note, I have limited programing skills, and non with micro-controllers, so it would be great if i could do this without any.

So, i was thinking of using two of the nRF24L01 modules, but how would these work for audio streaming in practice. The signal would be analogue so it would have to go through a A/D converter, right? and then be converted back to analogue somehow on the other side (how?).

Secondly, how can i take two data streams (stereo sound) and send them simultaneously through the same transceiver.

And lastly, is it possible to use this module without extreme programming skilzors or infact any micro-controller intervention?

Thanks,
Shift
By brennen
Nordic has a chip that is made specially for this (nRF24Z1). The hard part about using the 24L01 for audio is that assuming you are using an audio ADC to sample your analog audio input, you have to translate the I2S that comes out of that chip into a data stream over SPI for the 24L01. Given that I've never seen a cheap microcontroller with a hardware I2S interface, this would generally have to be bit-banged in SW, which would eat up a huge amount of processor bandwidth (if not all of it, or even be too much for some uC's). I actually considered doing this same thing at one point, but decided to shelf the project.
By leon_heller
I2S to SPI could be implemented quite easily using a CPLD, Altera has an app. note about it with Verilog code. Whether is is worth doing it is another matter.

Leon
By bananasiong
Hi,
Is there any built module available for this chip? I'm using cc2500 with 500kbps for audio streaming, the quality is terrible :lol: