SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By wasssup1990
Hi, I am going to upgrade my robot with wireless communications and use one of these transcievers on my robot and one connected to my computer. It's basically just a serial port datalink between my computer and my robot without the wires.
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=705

The serial port baud will be at 115200 b/s and everything is telling me that I can do this with these transcievers and an appropriate MCU. I just need to make sure this can be done before I buy the units.
If anyone can confirm that these units can be used in this way I would really appriciate it.

Thanks, and have a nice day! :D
By stevech
I don't know about those, but if you want a zero software development approach (no protocol writing, no bit-stuffing, no error correction, etc.) then consider using wireless serial port extender (pair). As cheap modules rather than a more costly in-a-box product, you could use Digi/Maxstream XBee modules. They have wireless serial port extender software built-in. So to your PC and embedded device, the link is a serial port; the wireless is transparent.

Take a look at t
viewtopic.php?t=9909

This scheme is popular among the robot gang.

But if you start with a bare RF-only module, you'll learn a lot after you get your own protocol and wireless serial port extender equivalent implemented.