Commercial usb bootloaders?

Support for Bloader and Screamer

Moderator: phalanx

Commercial usb bootloaders?

Postby FlipFlops » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 am

Does anyone know of a commercial usb bootloader that is compatible with the PIC18F2550/4550? I'm willing to pay for a license as I simply don't have the time to develop one fully with all the features I'm looking for.

My wants:

1. Windows interface
2. Ability to reprogram EEPROM in addition to program memory
3. Support for a simple form of encryption (bit shift and an xor etc) so it's slightly safer to distribute updates publicly

Ideally I would prefer the Windows interface to be compiled with MSVC# or C++, and the bootloader itself with C18 or PICC18 so I can make any small tweaks myself.

I know it's probably a stretch, but perhaps someone has seen something along these lines, or is willing to do a little paid work. :)
FlipFlops

Postby FlipFlops » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 am

Foolish me. I didn't realize that the latest release of the USB stack from Microchip includes the full source for an HID based bootloader that works with the 18F4550/2550.

If anyone else is looking for a great base to start their own USB bootloader you might want to check it out. It's very convenient because it uses drivers built into XP and Vista, and the PC interface is done in MSVC++ 2005 Express.
FlipFlops

Re: Commercial usb bootloaders?

Postby jairomacon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:10 am

It is provided by Microchip,pretty decent data sheets for all their parts. The data sheet for the 18F2550/4550 provides good starting information for getting USB boot loader.The software side doesn't really covered by it very well.They do provide application notes with sample code.It should work with the USB boot loader right out of the box.it is quit compatible with Windows interface to be compiled with MSVC# or C++ as I hope so.
For Your information The boot loader is loaded into the first segment of memory in the PIC. It then hands off execution to your code that is stored farther down. If you write firmware without keeping this in mind, you will overwrite your firmware.This will be helpful to your wants.
where there is will there is way.
jairomacon

Re: Commercial usb bootloaders?

Postby jrsimma » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:55 pm

We have SAE J1939, ISO 15765, CAN, UDS, and KWP2000 bootloaders for the PIC18, PIC24, and dsPIC33.

Flash Bootloaders:
http://simmasoftware.com/bootloaders.html

Thanks,

JR Simma
http://www.simmasoftware.com
jrsimma

Return to Boot Loading