SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By FPGA
Carlov wrote:Hello,
The patch for 2.6.24-rc8 seems to introduce a problem: ttyAM1 doesn't function any more. Can you give any clue how to make it work again? with the patch that came on the CD of Olimex, kernel version 2.6.20.4, the second serial port still works OK. Thank you in advance.
Carlov
It's seems that something bad happened with author of patch... He doesn't reply... =(
BTW I'm using 2.6.27 Linux kernel on my CS-E9302 :)
I think, someone from us must recreate a patch for SD/MMC and post it to main kernel...
By Carlov
Hello FPGA,

Thank you for your response, perhaps we can make te MMC work again in kernel version 2.6.27.
Does everything else, like ttyAM1, work OK on your CS-E9302 board?
If so, can you give me your .config file? I can't get it compiled right at the moment.
Does your kernel still work with the file system we used for 2.6.24-rc8 or should I also build a new root file system?

Thanks, Carlov
FPGA wrote:
Carlov wrote:Hello,
The patch for 2.6.24-rc8 seems to introduce a problem: ttyAM1 doesn't function any more. Can you give any clue how to make it work again? with the patch that came on the CD of Olimex, kernel version 2.6.20.4, the second serial port still works OK. Thank you in advance.
Carlov
It's seems that something bad happened with author of patch... He doesn't reply... =(
BTW I'm using 2.6.27 Linux kernel on my CS-E9302 :)
I think, someone from us must recreate a patch for SD/MMC and post it to main kernel...
By FPGA
Carlov wrote:Hello FPGA,
Thank you for your response, perhaps we can make te MMC work again in kernel version 2.6.27.
Does everything else, like ttyAM1, work OK on your CS-E9302 board?
If so, can you give me your .config file? I can't get it compiled right at the moment.
Does your kernel still work with the file system we used for 2.6.24-rc8 or should I also build a new root file system?
No, I didn't test ttyAM1 yet, but ttyAM0 works fine :)
Just use make xconfig and then select edb9302 default config from stock Linux kernel. Then save config and it will compile OK. But in 2.6.27 somebody kicked some important code about ethernet, so you must include these changes manually =(
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-List ... 07002.html
I hope in 2.6.27.* updates this problem solved :)

Fliesystem? Yes, I use this old filesystem, and it works fine, so no need to create new filesystem :)
By Carlov
Hello FPGA,

Could you please send my the .config file you used to build kernel version 2.6.27? I copied the ep93xx_defconfig from the /arch/arm/configs directory, but after compiling a few times, I never get the USB working. Therefore I can't mount the file system... kernel panic.
Thank you for your help.

Carlov
FPGA wrote:
Carlov wrote: No, I didn't test ttyAM1 yet, but ttyAM0 works fine :)
Just use make xconfig and then select edb9302 default config from stock Linux kernel. Then save config and it will compile OK. But in 2.6.27 somebody kicked some important code about ethernet, so you must include these changes manually =(
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-List ... 07002.html
I hope in 2.6.27.* updates this problem solved :)

Fliesystem? Yes, I use this old filesystem, and it works fine, so no need to create new filesystem :)
By FPGA
Carlov wrote:Hello FPGA,
Could you please send my the .config file you used to build kernel version 2.6.27? I copied the ep93xx_defconfig from the /arch/arm/configs directory, but after compiling a few times, I never get the USB working. Therefore I can't mount the file system... kernel panic.
Thank you for your help.
Hmmm... I use same config as you use... I didnt tested USB deeply, but probably it's working wrong on my board too...
I wiil test it tomorrow and I'll show you my results.
P.S.
I'm from Russia, so when in USA night, we have a daylight :)
By peejay
I just had a look through the patch file and there are numerous references and changes to the ethernet module - Why are they in there? I would have thought that the ethernet driver has nothing to do with a SPI flash card?

I did notice a "MMC/SD over SPI" option in the kernel config - Maybe we can get this to work?

I have to try and get something working for 2.6.26 soon.
By yeelive
HI FPGA :
"Original 2.6.8 kernel works fine + customized by myself and compiled with Crater - 2.6.17 kernel also works fine"

Can you tell me how to make 2.6.17 kernel working well on Ep9302? Where can i get the source?
By FPGA
yeelive wrote:HI FPGA :
"Original 2.6.8 kernel works fine + customized by myself and compiled with Crater - 2.6.17 kernel also works fine"
Can you tell me how to make 2.6.17 kernel working well on Ep9302? Where can i get the source?
Just download LATEST 2.6.27.8 kernel from http://kernel.org and use your ARM gcc compiler from Cirrus archives (probably you can use any arm gcc, i'm not sure about this). It will work fine without any special tool or soft... (of course, replace .config file in your linux kernel sources dir with deb93xx default config file - it's important :) ) But ehthernet support will not work on ep9302... You must replace one file in the kernel source to enable ethernet. Later i will give you a link to that file and instructions...
Now you can test kernel without ethernet and filesystem... Ethernet -> later, i'm busy now ^_^
By yeelive
FPGA wrote:
yeelive wrote:HI FPGA :
Just download LATEST 2.6.27.8 kernel from http://kernel.org and use your ARM gcc compiler from Cirrus archives (probably you can use any arm gcc, i'm not sure about this). It will work fine without any special tool or soft... (of course, replace .config file in your linux kernel sources dir with deb93xx default config file - it's important :) ) But ehthernet support will not work on ep9302... You must replace one file in the kernel source to enable ethernet. Later i will give you a link to that file and instructions...
Now you can test kernel without ethernet and filesystem... Ethernet -> later, i'm busy now ^_^
Hi FPGA:
Thanks for your answer. I think i should learn base-knowledge first, and do some simple try :)
I am waiting for your link:)
By troynel
Does anybody know where to find the cs-e9302_kernel_config file? I've looked everywhere so that means its probably right in front of me...
By FPGA
troynel wrote:Does anybody know where to find the cs-e9302_kernel_config file? I've looked everywhere so that means its probably right in front of me...
Default Linux kernel from site http://kernel.org contain configuration for cs-e9302. You can get it from here (after unpack):
linux-2.6.*/arch/arm/configs/ep93xx_defconfig

Just type:
Code: Select all
make xconfig
in linux-2.6.* directory and then locate this file. Then click save. Now your kernel is configured for cs-ep9302. (To use xconfig you must install qt3 development files)
Current kernel configuration is stored in linux-2.6.* directory in *invisible* file named .config - you can see it when "ls -la".
You can simply configure your kernel just by copy of file:
cp arch/arm/configs/ep93xx_defconfig .config
and then optionally type
make config
- this will promt you for new kernel parameters if they are not assigned...
Now you ready for compiling of your kernel.
Hi FPGA:
Thanks for your answer. I think i should learn base-knowledge first, and do some simple try Smile
I am waiting for your link:)
We no more need any patch - just download latest kernel from kernel.org (2.6.28.1 - now) - and everything including ethernet will work fine just out of the box - all problems fixed!

Ask questions if you have problems - I'm tracking this topic by e-mail and will answer as soon as possible.
By roll72
Hello,

I got the same issue with the olimex 9302 to boot on a sd card. Does someone got any progress on that ?

thanks for the answer
By FPGA
roll72 wrote:Hello,
I got the same issue with the olimex 9302 to boot on a sd card. Does someone got any progress on that ?
thanks for the answer
SD card boot is only available if you will use the patch from this topic. But if you need this patch for newest kernels - you must do this work by yourself...
P.S. I did not tested this patch ;)
By roll72
hello,

could you kindly indicate me a tutorial or how to to construct and apply this patch for cs 9302? I read all the forum but it is a little confusing, which last post I have to follow ?

I got antoher issue : I not got very often the console on serial port ?
I tried many cables and computer but still the same silent. After booting the card is getting an ip so I could telnet it but I would to have access to redboot in order to make the command.

thanks in advance for your help.
By FPGA
roll72 wrote:hello,
could you kindly indicate me a tutorial or how to to construct and apply this patch for cs 9302? I read all the forum but it is a little confusing, which last post I have to follow ?
To construct patch you must be a programmer and be familiar with Linux kernel programming. To apply patch you must be a simple Linux user because patching is a trivial and simple operation - just search in web "linux apply patch"
I got antoher issue : I not got very often the console on serial port ?
I tried many cables and computer but still the same silent. After booting the card is getting an ip so I could telnet it but I would to have access to redboot in order to make the command.
Probably you have wrong cable... Try to make serial cable yourself (as I do) - power up board and measure voltage on pins... where +10/-10 voltage - it's a TX from cs-ep9302, and vice versa. Search for serial port pinout and make cable. It's a pretty simple, really...