SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By mayur
yeah.. surely i can verify it! but unfortunately i'm not at my workplace right now. i'll see u soon after verification..
thanks for showing me the way further..
regards,

mayur
By mifi
mayur,

can you tell me more about the arm-usb-ocd pack (CD)?
Which compiler is used:

- GNUARM
- WinARM
- ?????

:?:

Regards,

Michael
By phalanx
Hi Mayur,

Please refrain from posting the same thread in multiple locations. It clutters up the forum and makes it more difficult to follow for everybody that is trying to help or learn from your problem by spreading the information over a larger area.

Thanks,

-Bill
By mayur
hello, mifi

> i'm using the GNUARM compiler and Eclipse IDE on win-XP OS.
> there is no problem regarding the ground loop. ( as suggested to be ensured by Dominic)
>like what u said, i reinstalled the openocd-r131 drivers. and this time when i tried again , i got the msg. as
Info: openocd.c:84 main(): Open On-Chip Debugger (2007-01-31 12:00 CET)
Error: jtag.c:1181 jtag_examine_chain(): JTAG communication failure, check connection, JTAG interface, target power etc
and when i replaced the line in my .cfg file..
Code: Select all
<< ft2232_device_desc "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG A" >>	by 
<< ft2232_device_desc "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG B" >>
again i got openocd running for few seconds and displayed..
Error: ft2232.c:229 ft2232_read(): couldn't read the requested number of bytes from FT2232 device (0 < 81)
Error: ft2232.c:369 ft2232_send_and_recv(): couldn't read from FT2232
and when i replaced the same line of device_desc again by
Code: Select all
<< ft2232_device_desc "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG " >>
i got the msg. as
Error: ft2232.c:1310 ft2232_init(): unable to open ftdi device: 2
Error: ft2232.c:1325 ft2232_init(): ListDevices: 2

Error: ft2232.c:1327 ft2232_init(): 0: Olimex OpenOCD JTAG A
Error: ft2232.c:1327 ft2232_init(): 1: Olimex OpenOCD JTAG B
Question1: what may be the root cause of the matter??
Question2: what is "JTAG A" and "JTAG B" ??

Things are getting in same way even when I disconnect the target board from the device.
(i got the same error line for parport wiggler also)
please let me know if any more detailed input u want!
i'm desperately trying to make it work !!

Thanks,'n
Regards,

Mayur
By Dominic
It would have helped if you told us about that earlier. You have to use the "A" variant - that's FTD2XX' (the FTDI driver) way of selecting the first channel (the one used for JTAG). "B" is the second channel, connected to the serial port.

The root cause of your problem is:
Error: jtag.c:1181 jtag_examine_chain(): JTAG communication failure, check connection, JTAG interface, target power etc

You should do just that, i.e. verify connection etc.

Regards,

Dominic
By mayur
>well.. i had verified the connection, interface and power many a times (rather, each time when i try to make it on) but the problem is still the same.
> Even i burned my testing code into the same chip via the virtual serial port using independent flash utility (flash Magic )... it run fine !

>thus we can say that the device arm-usb-ocd is working properly .. then what other options do i have to recheck the software settings especially for JTAG interface (instead of modifying the .cfg file )??
please reply ..
regards,
mayur
By mifi
Hello mayur,

I belive there is a hardware problem :!:

1. Do you use the power supply from the ARM-USB-OCD for
your target? In this case try an other one. Use only the JTAG
functionality from the ARM-USB-OCD.

2. Can you provide us the schematics from your board?

Michael
By mayur
hello Michael and Dominic

still the problem is not solved!
i agree with u... there must be the hardware problem... but what other faulty possibilities can exist there?? specially when i verified that
1. there isn't any problem of ground loop.

2. i had used the same power provided by the arm-usb-ocd device
( already tried with independent power supply also ).

3. i had reinstalled the neccessory usb drivers.

4. the board is working fine with other downloading utilities (like Flash
Magic )

5. the serial com port of the arm-usb-ocd device is working properly
(thus there won't be any issue regarding faulty usb cable)

6. when i used the par-port wiggler device with IAR IDE to interface with
the same board(lpc 2138) .. it worked fine!!

7. all other usb ports ( from Device Manager) except the one on which i
connected my device are disabled.

8. and finally .. i had also connected self powered usb hub.
what else i can do?? shall i send the board schematic to you ??

please take out a moment of ur precious time to reply me !!

Thanks, 'n
Regards,

Mayur
By mifi
Hello Mayur,

if your board is working with other JTAG hardware, and you could not
test the ARM-USB-OCD on an other target.

Send the ARM-USB-OCD back, this could be the faulty device.

Hello OLIMEX, perhaps you can help here?

Regards,

Michael
By OLIMEX
Hi,

I read this topic, but with the available info I can only speculate. I can't see anything about how mayur connects ARM-USB-OCD nor what is his target board, nor what is his power supply, what voltage levels he measure on the microcontroller core etc.
I see he only mention LPC2138 learning kit which he made himself, no schematic, none info if there are pullups pulldowns on the JTAG lines, is the JTAG enabled/disabled? are the Vcc levels within the JTAG working range?

"6. when i used the par-port wiggler device with IAR IDE to interface with
the same board(lpc 2138) .. it worked fine!! "

OpenOCD supports Wiggler too, so why mayur don't try it? then it will be clear if something is wrong with ARM-USB-OCD or he do something wrong with the openOCD installation/setup?

Best regards
Tsvetan
By mayur
Hi OLIMEX,
very nice to see u replying. well.. now i'll again try explain you what u may want..
> my core power requirement is +5v dc . I was using +5v dc power supply but later on i powered the board through the arm-usb-ocd device itself. And before connecting it through usb hub it supplies +4.78 v dc and after.. +5.15v dc.
> i don't understand what is to be done to enable the JTAG ? is there any special provision ?

>i installed and tried to interface the Wiggler device with openocd also but it prompted the same error msg.

> further, i was succeded in downloading the code through the virtual COM port provided on the arm-usb-ocd device itself.

>now when the com port interface is ok , what may go wrong with JTAG interface ?

> and even if i dont connect the JTAG connector to the board, still get exactly the same error !! so how do can we say that anything gone wrong with the target hardware (board) ?

>well.... there might go something wrong with my installation procedure ... but i had followed exactly the same steps which are mentioned in the pdf document in the CD

> please take a glance over my previously posted threads to read the exact error messages i'm getting..

Thanks 'n
Regards

Mayur
By OLIMEX
mayur wrote: > i don't understand what is to be done to enable the JTAG ? is there any special provision ?
this says it all, you try to build LPC2138 board yourself but didn't read LPC2138 datasheets and you don't know how to enable the JTAG port
I asked you above questions about your schematic, how do you connect the JTAG to LPC2138, are there pullups pulldowns on the JTAG lines?
I don't ask what is your power supply on the power jack but on your microcontroller i.e. what are the voltage levels on your LPC2138 ports.

mifi: do you understand where is the problem now?

we got at least 2-3 e-mails per week with content like: "hi, I bought your ARM-JTAG and I have never used linux before but want to build linux kernel for my SAM7X256 board, can you teach me how to do this?"

frankly I don't know what to tell our peoples how to answer questions like this.

best regards
Tsvetan
By mayur
well well well.. i apologize for that kind of answer from me..!

>actually i wanted to say that i had already enabled the JTAG ( by installing the JTAG jumper ) on my board . but if there is any other provision for it on the " arm-usb-ocd " device then i dont know about that.

>and even if i dont connect the device to my board, i get the same error msg.

>soon i'll send you the schematics of my board .

i hope you will be kind enough to consider my point .
please dont mind !!

Thanks,
Regards,

Mayur
By mifi
Hi Tsvetan

>mifi: do you understand where is the problem now?
Yes I know, sorry mayur, this is a good thread example for it.

The problem is what you mention before.
"Hello I bought xxx and has problem with it."
The big problem is now to get all information which is needed for the puzzle.

Perhaps we need a stick note on the forum, like
what to provide for information for faster help.

I will create a new thread that we can discuss the information
which is needed.

Regards,

mifi