SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By OLIMEX
indeed the mistery is solved
since 2.06 OCD debugger checks if pin 8 and pin 15 are connected and show false errors if see that they are not connected
it seems the original Wiggler have these tied together to may software automatically test if on the LPT port Wiggler is connected.
We'll patch all ARM-JTAGs we have on stock and will make all future ARM-JTAGs with this feature, so all versions of OCD commander will work with our ARM-JTAG

Tsvetan
By Guest
We'll patch all ARM-JTAGs we have on stock and will make all future ARM-JTAGs with this feature, so all versions of OCD commander will work with our ARM-JTAG
That is...until a future version of OCDRemote requires that the two pins NOT be connected... :-) I'd make it jumper-able somehow if this is really the mechanism they are relying on.

John Orlando
www.jrobot.net
By OLIMEX
this is very much impossible to happend
it seems that original Wiggler have these two connected, so I don't think macgraigor will piss of their customers with original Wiggler :)
Tsvetan
By Guest
Can someone spare me an older version of OCD Remote e.g. v2.06?
Tsvetan, Can you be more specific how to rework the current olimex jtag to make it work with the newer OCD Remote e.g. v2.08? I'd like to rework it before you have the newer jtag released. Thanks, toroko@naruwon.com
By kikkus
@OLIMEX :

I have pass one entire day to search a software able to program your shitting lpc2106 board by jtag. Always I have an "error 43"!! :evil:

ONE DAY to search a good software and understand if the board is working or not!! :evil:

For pure case, i see the forum link and come here..... if you insert in the page a little text about the connection between pins 8-15, many persons not spent time!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
By sparky
I realize your frustrations - but play nice or get booted.

We try to provide as much support as possible - that's why this forum is here - for you.

I'll take your recommendation and update the ARM-JTAG listing on the SFE website. In the future, please ask for help and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

-Nathan
By ncherry
I've tried the ocdremote & the arm-jtag under Linux 2.6.8 (don't try that), 2.4.22 (insmod -f ravenpp.o work there) and Windows 2K & Cygwwin 2.0 (?, from the Macraigor site) and none of them recognize the arm-jtag (error 43 or the not cabled error). The jtag has the jumper between 8 & 15. Any hints?
By OLIMEX
Hi,
try to decrease the Speed, OCDemon doesn't work correctly on faster computers, also ensure that ARM clock is at least 8 times faster than JTAG clock.
Best regards
Tsvetan
By ncherry
With ocdremote (2.09), nothing works under Linux. I use the following command line:

ocdremote -c ARM7TDMI -a 1 -d RAVEN -s 1

-s 1 or 2 gives the following error:
OCDemon InitializeTarget Error : Not in Background

-s 3 through 8 just cause the EB40A to continously reboot.

There is no wiggler option under Linux. Should I set the BIOS to something particular for the parallel port setting?

I had better luck with Windows (I don't like running 2 systems to get things done) and ocdremote.exe. That I can run as a Wiggler (-d wiggler) at -s 4.

So it looks like the Linux drivers are kaput! I tried to load the Linux drivers under Linux 2.6,8 but that crashes during install (Macraigor's drivers). Under Linux 2.4 I can't get it to behave but under Windows 2K I can get it to run as a Wiggler and setting 4. At least I have something working. I guess it's time to put some work into an open source driver so I can run under Linux. Do you know of any? I've googled but I get no clear information. I get a lot of info about various projects but none that are clear that allow gdb to access the driver/daemon.

Thanks
By aberto
under windows 2000.

ocdremote works only with a speed -s 8 if LPT port is in normal mode,
if LPTport is in normal ECP/EPP, ocdremotre cause a reboot of windows.
ocdremote with speed (ocdremote -c ARM7TDMI-S -a 1 -d wiggler -s 1 ) it is ok fi a LPT port is in EPP mode.
By peterfgray
sparky wrote:I realize your frustrations - but play nice or get booted.

We try to provide as much support as possible - that's why this forum is here - for you.

I'll take your recommendation and update the ARM-JTAG listing on the SFE website. In the future, please ask for help and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

-Nathan
In the spirit of "providing as much support as possible" and "asking for help" ...

Would it be possible for someone from Spark Fun or Olimex to provide links to the versions of the software utilities that are known to work with the hardware being offered for sale? Failing that, perhaps just a simple table?

Call me picky, but I'm not prepared to spend money on untested or semi-tested hardware. I have no objections to beta testing hardware and software combinations, but I'm certainly not going to pay for this 'privilege'. I frequently test and research hardware/software products for other companies - they send me the 'stuff', I figure out what works, and what doesn't, I give them the results, I keep the stuff. Everybody wins. A similar scheme might be beneficial for you guys (and no, I'm not looking for work - I'm just making a suggestion which might improve your service).

You guys (Spark Fun and Olimex) sell some great stuff. I think you'd sell a whole lot more if the quality of documentation was taken up a notch.

-Pete.
By OLIMEX
Hello Peter,

I agree on the documentation issue with our development boards, we are going to change this soon.
But the problems here I see is with the open source software tools quality.
Our ARM-JTAG is 100% Wiggler compatible, where our ARM-JTAG doesn't work so does the original $150 wiggler. This is not issue of the hardware, but of the software which this hardware is used with.
To everyone who is in doubt if his software/hardware works or not I suggest to download Rowley's CrossWorks (no I don't get commissioning from them) they provide 30 days free licensee and user see that our boards work when they are used with the proper tunned software - as CrossWorks is nothing but GCC with well designed IDE and debugger which *works* without you to know what speed you have to tune it at your computer and so on hidden behind IDE issues.
I don't want to start here debates for the open source / commercial software issues, but the fact is that if you are not linux guru or have no time to spend in learning how and what to tune in the open source tools, you will have almost no luck to use them sucessfully.
CrossWorks (which is GCC) proves that GNUARM and GCC is working just fine with our hardware.

Best regards
Tsvetan
By Thestrup
I just got a ARM-JTAG, and I can't get it to work with OCDRemote 2.11 I keep getting the error 43 nomatter which speed I try to connect with.
I've set my LPT1 to EPP and is using the LPC2138 MCU.

How do I check if my ARM-JTAG has been patched between pin 8 and 15? And is it the LPT pins or the JTAG pins?

Does anyone have an older version of OCDRemote? Maybe 2.06

Best Regards
Søren Thestrup
By OLIMEX
you can do the check with simple ohm meter when touch with the probes pin 8 and 15
Tsvetan
By Thestrup
Have just tested, and there is no connection between the two pins. I bought it from demotech in Denmark.

Should I just connect a wire between the two pins?

/Søren