SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By FarMcKon
Hey folks,
I have a LPC2148 project running that should do UART over USB as a COM emulator. It boots OK and appears in windows device manager as a "USB CDC serial port emulation (COM5)". However TeraTerm is not listing COM5. I have a USB/Serial dongle working, so I know it's not I've rebooted, searched the web, and looked at other forums.

Has anyone encountered this before? Does anyone have a fix for this? Does anyone know of another good terminal program I can use to test this? I see a lot of terminal programs, but few of them support serial connections anymore.
By FarMcKon
The 'About' box says:
Tera Term Pro
Version 2.3
Mar 10 1998
By dalewheat
In your TTERMPRO directory (where Tera Term is installed), there is a file named TERATERM.INI. In that file is a setting for 'maximum com port':

; Max serial port number
MaxComPort=40

As you can see, mine is set to 40, as I have a lot of serial ports :) This lets Tera Term list more than the standard 4 ports.

Good luck!
By dumarjo
we use realterm. An open source. look a sf.net. Work relatively well with an automatic serials port dectection.

Jonathan
By FarMcKon
That did it.
I had searched through the menu's for an option like that and didn't see one, so I assumed that XP had some kind of problem. Thanks for pointing out that fix.
By notageek1212
I just came across a freely available replacement for Teraterm named 'ClearTerminal'. I liked it. It's sweet and easy to use.
It could be found at the following link
http://www.clearconnex.com/content/clearterminal

Have fun :) 8)