SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By vjpr
Hi!

I have been using Eclipse GNU ARM with STM32CubeMX and it has been really painful setting up a project and I'm constantly running into bugs. I am looking for something else and wanted to see what everyone recommends in the commercial tool scene.

STM32Cube generates sample code for:
- Atollic TrueStudio
- Keil MDK
- IAR
- TASKING VX

I want to be able to have a working project running out of the box with FreeRTOS, so it will be hard to choose a non supported tool.

I would prefer an Eclipse based IDE because a good text editor is very important to me (autocomplete, navigation, etc.).

Interested in hearing peoples experiences with their tools.

Cheers!
By vjpr
I found Cross Works pretty smooth but I didn't like the editor. Not as full featured as Eclipse.
By dschlic1
I have used the free version of Atollic TrueStudio. I also used FreeRTOS in TrueStudio. I don't know how well the latest versions work.
By monkeyxpress
STM32CubeMX is just the stub file generator. You can do all the configuration yourself pretty easily (and if you want to do anything serious/critical, I would recommend you just do that). Sadly vendor provided 'tools' have long been plagued with endless bugs. They really just use them as shiny marketing gimmicks to sell the products to managers. I don't know many commercial devs who would bother.

As for toolchains, it just depends on your budget really. All the ones that use GCC are the same code quality wise, and you are just paying for how well they integrated it into Eclipse (ie number of bugs) and the quality of the debugger they've implemented. To be honest, I would just roll my own unless you need a good debugger. You can use any editor you want and just setup a make file pretty easily.

IAR are good but pricey, and I'd only really choose them if I needed things like MISRA checkers etc. Keil would probably be my pick if I had money to burn as they are owned by ARM now so have a bunch of talented people optimising it out.

But for most work GCC is great and free so I'd stick with that.