SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By JoeFraser
Hi,
Apologies for the blatant noob issue, but I have searched and cant find an answer here. My situation is as follows:

A brand new Logomatic V2, a serial plug wired into RXI0,TXO0 and GND.
A brand new 2GB Micro SD card, formatted in XP to FAT.
Initialising the unit, it does as it should, and when I USB connect to a pc it mounts, and I can see the two expected files.
I leave the config file alone (it's in mode 0, so it should now log everything that comes in the serial port.)
I use hyperterminal to output some strings.
press stop, power off, connect to pc via usb, and there's nothing in the text file.

I have confirmed the string is being outputted by my pc (using hyperterminal on another machine).

Help!
By JoeFraser
Ok, thanks for all the help guys!

After a bunch of searching, it appears I needed one of these http://www.sparkfun.com/products/449.

Maybe that's obvious to some, but it's not very clear anywhere that I could find that the serial on the Logomatic V2 doesn't actually allow you to just wire up a 9-pin D and communicate.

Maybe this post will help the next guy who wonders why their board doesn't work.
By PaulBarter
I had the same problem and you need to make sure that you're converting the RS232 level ASCII to TTL level ASCII at 3.3v. The easiest way to do this using the Logomatic and a Sparkfun RS232 Level shifter is to power the level shifter using the logomatic 3.3v supply. First bring the ASCII in on Pin 3 of the DB9 on the level shifter, jump pin 2 of the DB9 to the RX-I Pin and send the RX-O pin of the level shifter to RXIO on the logomatic.

I have a pretty good picture but can't see how to attach it if it's not a url.

-Paul
By JoeFraser
Hey! Someone replied! Thanks guys..
I do now have the RS232 shifter, however it appears that I've blown the UART with my hamfisted attempts at communication at the wrong voltage. Luckily the board still functions fine in ADC mode, which I did use to get the job done.. luckily my sensor had enough output options to make it work.

Thanks for the replies!