SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By davidbinar
I just got my Olimex 2294-board from you at Sparkfun. Are you supposed to solder on a power jack yourself? If not, mine's missing and there is three holes in the board. Also, next to the place where the power jack is supposed to be there's a D5 missing. Is that also something you have to supply yourself?

Best Regards
David Berg
By leon_heller
davidbinar wrote:I just got my Olimex 2294-board from you at Sparkfun. Are you supposed to solder on a power jack yourself? If not, mine's missing and there is three holes in the board. Also, next to the place where the power jack is supposed to be there's a D5 missing. Is that also something you have to supply yourself?

Best Regards
David Berg
Looks like they forgot to put them on. It's a bit disturbing, though, as it means that they don't get tested.

Leon
By davidbinar
I think they might be tested using the USB-port for power. The board seems to work anyway (The board testing program shows up ok) so I'll be using the USB-port for power. By the way, do anyone know how to configure the card so I can use the Phillips Flash Utlility. I thought I just had to short the BSL-jumper but the Flash Utility program can't seem to connect to the card. It just shows: "Cannot communicate with testboard" when I try Read Device ID. (I use 19200 Baud) It works ok with a Bitfire card from Arrow that uses an LPC2129.

/David
By bertrik
I don't know about the Olimex board, but perhaps you're specifying a baud rate that is too high. My board has a 12 MHz crystal and I cannot go any higher than 38400 in the flash utility.
By OLIMEX
Hi David,

PWR jack is not installed on LPC-E2294 intentionally, none of LPC-E2294 have PWR jack (I know I have to replace the first proto picture which is on our web and have PWR jack!)

It was our design flaw that LCD power supply is connected only to USB 5V source (look at the schematic we have on our web), and if the board is powered from the power supply Jack LCD will not light up.
We are working on new revision of the board which will have this fixed

@Leon: don't worry we test all our boards :)

Best regards
Tsvetan
By leon_heller
OLIMEX wrote:Hi David,

PWR jack is not installed on LPC-E2294 intentionally, none of LPC-E2294 have PWR jack (I know I have to replace the first proto picture which is on our web and have PWR jack!)

It was our design flaw that LCD power supply is connected only to USB 5V source (look at the schematic we have on our web), and if the board is powered from the power supply Jack LCD will not light up.
We are working on new revision of the board which will have this fixed

@Leon: don't worry we test all our boards :)

Best regards
Tsvetan
Sorry about that, I didn't realise it had USB.

Leon
By davidbinar
Ok, thanks for the answer Olimex, I really don't have a problem with powering the board from USB anyway. Maybe you know something about my perhaps newbie-question about configuring the board to work with the Philips Flash Utility? (I'm using a serial cable from the computer to the card)
By the way, do anyone know how to configure the card so I can use the Phillips Flash Utlility. I thought I just had to short the BSL-jumper but the Flash Utility program can't seem to connect to the card. It just shows: "Cannot communicate with testboard" when I try Read Device ID. (I use 19200 Baud) It works ok with a Bitfire card from Arrow that uses an LPC2129.
/David
By OLIMEX
Hi,
to use the Philips ISP utility you should use Virtual COM port installing FT232 device USB drivers.
The second RS232 port where RS232 connector is attached can't be used for ISP .
Tsvetan