SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By seulater
I have been poking around trying to see if anyone has made a Ethernut OS port for the LPC1768.
If any of you come across one please let me know, thanks.
By stevech
Consider using a WizNet 812MJ. $18. SPI interface (low pin count).
All of TCP/IP for four connections (sockets) runs on it, not your microprocessor.
I've used it with Atmel AVR and NXP ARM7. Greatly simplifies microprocessor environment to have off-board TCP.
By seulater
Thanks, yesterday i sent out a small board for using the WIZ830MJ for my processor and should have it in this Friday. Though i am a bit skeptical of Wiznet. Much of their docs are a few years old. When i was making the pinout for the WIZ830MJ part the docs had the address bus on J1 when its on J2. that doc was back from 2008. and i think someone would have caught it by now. Also, when i download a document it shows how many times it was downloaded. there are not to many people using them it seems. Lastly, and this is the big one for me, the errata for the W5300 is back in 2008 and there is no new die's since then ?

Things just seem weird for me, but i am willing to give it a try.
By stevech
I can only say that the 812MJ is rock solid. Product introduced about a year ago. Docs hard to read. I didn't use their sample code.
I wanted the 812MJ because of SPI so I could avoid a high pin-count interface but still get good speed. But I'm using a module, not a chip. Uses the 5100 chip. The 5300 cannot do SPI.

I watch for but haven't seen another comparable module supporting TCP/IP with 4 concurrent sockets. Not Lantronix, not Microchip. Different concept, but nifty is ConnectOne's modules - esp. the WiFi ones.
By seulater
Thanks for the feedback. I went with the 5300 because i wanted the more internal ram per socket. I wish they didn't drop the SPI port though.

That was another interesting thing for me as far as the software goes. I'd expected over the years since they have been around to have more code out there for it.
By mpanetta
I can understand why something like the wiznet modules are not as popular as you would expect. In a high volume application it is quite a bit cheaper to add software then it is to add hardware to a product. It makes more sense to just add a magjack and some code to a system then it does to add a 3rd party module *AND* code to deal with it. For small personal projects or small one off commercial ones, sure the WizNet module make sense. It just does not pan out in high volume though.
By stevech
mpanetta wrote:I can understand why something like the wiznet modules are not as popular as you would expect. In a high volume application it is quite a bit cheaper to add software then it is to add hardware to a product. It makes more sense to just add a magjack and some code to a system then it does to add a 3rd party module *AND* code to deal with it. For small personal projects or small one off commercial ones, sure the WizNet module make sense. It just does not pan out in high volume though.
Agree, if you have the code space and CPU time for TCP on the host processor, and so on.
By mpanetta
stevech wrote: Agree, if you have the code space and CPU time for TCP on the host processor, and so on.
People have been shoehorning TCP stacks in to 8 bit PIC's for about a decade... If you can't find the space, or the CPU time for one in a 32 bit ARM, your doing something wrong IMO! :)
By stevech
In my case, I use the 812MJ to speed up my project development schedule, and keep within the 128KB size of the flash in the processor. My current project is over 100KB of C code.

And I'm one of those who has used TCP/IP on a host 8 bitter in the past.

Thanks for the barb-toss.
By mpanetta
Well, I really meant to say "probably doing something wrong", but as you probably are aware, I was mostly being silly. :)
By seulater
yes, but very minimal. Just have the telnet working. What i need to be able to accomplish is a HTTP server, and for it to pull the web page from an SPI EEprom.
hopefully try to work on that this week.
I wish they have all these examples in one place and all up to date.
By FirefighterBlu3
i'm half a step behind you, i just got mine, sat down last night and wired it up to my breadboard. got it pinging then had to hit the sack. give me a bit of time and i'll post a url for a tiny "http" server someone put on a w5100 module w/ an avr atmega168
By seulater
Cool, my goal right now is to also have a web server, but i want to put my site in an external SPI part.