SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By ande3577
I am currently using the GNUARM toolchain for a project that is nearing completion and noticed that their website (www.gnuarm.org) now redirects to the yagarto main page (www.yagarto.de). Other than the main page, other pages on gnuarm.org still load correctly. Neither page appears to give any explanation for this. Google didn't provide much help either.

Does anyone know the story behind this? Has GNUARM been discontinued? I'm a little nervous going forward with a toolchain that may not be supported in the future.
By theatrus
GNUARM is a repackaging of GNU build tools. YAGARTO is the same thing. The differences are the libc builds, and versions of the tools. If GNUARM works today, it will continue to work. If you want to update the tools continuously, move to Yagarto (or CodeSourcery) or roll your own for maximum customize-ability.
By tequilaguru
gnuarm.com still works. You could also build your own compiler/c library, this is not that hard and this setup is very customizable. gnuarm.com is probably the best place to start with such endeavour. This way you could matain your own toolchain and keep it updated.
By millwood
theatrus wrote:or roll your own for maximum customize-ability.
that would be helpful if your goal is to learn about the tool.

not so helpful if your goal is to use the tool.
By theatrus
Knowing your tool makes you much better at using them :D
By stevech
Hobbyist: IAR's free version supports up to 32KB as I recall. Infinitely better than YAGARTO and the so on.
By millwood
theatrus wrote:Knowing your tool makes you much better at using them :D
absolutely true.

however, in a resource constrained world, spending lots of time on your tools means little time for you to use your tools to do what you use your tools for.

tools are a means to your goal, not the goal itself.
By cfb
millwood wrote: tools are a means to your goal, not the goal itself.
... unless, of course, you are a tools developer :wink: