SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By rich-16
Hello!

I have a LPC-H2138 Developmrnt board form Olimex and also I've downloaded LPC 2000 flash utility from Philips. When I try to connect to LPC-H2138 board by 'LPC 2000 flash utility' I have an error: 'Cannot communicate with test board!'.

Please help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks!
By j2quinn
did you solve your problem?
By leon_heller
There might be a jumper for P0.14. That needs to be correct for bootloading.

Leon
By ICAC210
Hi, I have the exact same problem now. It gives the "can not communicate with the test board" error and i don't know why its happening.

My LPC2138 is already on the PCB, can anyone tell me what programmer i can get in order to program it? Thanks.
By hsutherl
A serial cable and the Philips Utility should be all you need.

The utility should be V2.2.3.
You need to enter the correct crystal frequency.
Switches set in ICSP position, not RUN
4800 baud is a good reliable frequency.
Try resetting or even removing the power.

Of course it could be a bad part. I did have one LPC2136 that just stopped bootloading after being programmed perhaps 500 times. Never did figure out why.

-Hugh
By j2quinn
make sure you have both icsp switches in the ON position. that will enable the bootloader and then hit the reset button. If the switches are on 1 and 2 then the code runs and bootloader is disabled. make sure that the flash utility you have supports your header board as well. download the WINARM package that will include the flash utility that supports your board as i have the same one and work with the WINARM package.
By leon_heller
You can also use a simple parallel port JTAG interface like my design in the LPC2000 group files section with the H-JTAG software. I just tried it out of curiosity (I normally use CrossWorks) and it worked OK with an LPC2148 board.

Leon
By jharvey
I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can flash my 2378 board, but have learned two gotchas if you are using the JTAG programmer. First don't assume the USB JTAG OCD can provide the power you need. I was able to modify my board to make it work, but had to solder in a jumper wire. Also a friend had mentioned that if you upload a firmware that buggers the JTAG clock, JTAG will stop working, and you'll have to program via 232 or alt method to get it back working.

Failed communications may indicate a buggered JTAG, can you establish other JTAG comms?
By cfb
ICAC210 wrote:My LPC2138 is already on the PCB, can anyone tell me what programmer i can get in order to program it? Thanks.
I recommend FlashMagic for programming via a serial port - it comes with a 100+ page instruction manual:

http://www.flashmagictool.com/
By stevech
Don't forget about P0.14 jumper to enable serial bootloader.
Also DBUG pin needs to be not grounded.