SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By agreer
I haven't been having much luck getting the Olimex GCCFD environment working. I was just wondering if, in general, people are having much luck using opensource development tools with the Cortex-M3 processors? As far as I know, codesourcery is the only outfit to claim that their free tools will support thumb2 compilation. What I'd really love is to find a build of an arm-elf-xxx toolset (including insight!) that supports CM3. After wasting so many hours trying to make an opensource environment work, I'm seriously considering paying the cash to get CrossWorks.
By SodaAnt
I can't answer your specific question, but just wanted to say that I'm a CrossWorks user and it's excellent. I use it with an ST eval board and it is well worth $150 if you're a non-commercial user like I am.
By BusError
I use the CodeSourcery toolchain, and use Eclipse 'naked' over it for editing and building (makefiles).
Gcc is pretty good for code generation, and you can debug-ish with openocd.

So it's possible to use a full opensource free toolchain...

I'm targeting Stellarises...
By agreer
theatrus wrote:
agreer wrote:
theatrus wrote:You need to either use CodeSourcery, or gcc 4.3.x to get Cortex-m3 support.

Take a look at this page for instructions:

http://elua.berlios.de/tut_gcc_cortex.html
Do you suppose I could get that tutorial to work if I performed the compilation on a Vindows machine under Cygwin?
Yes, it should work just fine.
I might still try that, but I think my first attempt will be from inside an Ubuntu virtual machine.
By static
yes, latest codesourcery binaries (you don't have to build everything) work good for stm32 under cygwin as well as under ubuntu.

examples of environment/makefiles/project can be found by looking for name 'lanchon' (who has kindly shared his gcc based examples with community)