SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By gustavo
Hi:
I have a LPC-E2129 Olimex board, with USB (FTDI Chip). I would like to use the Philips Flash Utility to download the programs.
I load the FTDI Virtual Com Drivers, so it appears as COM4.
However, I tried to boot the board with the normal procedure (reset the board with the BSL jumper set), but the utility can not find the board.
It is supposed to work with the USB interface and the FTDI VC Driver?

Thanks;

Gus
By bobo
Hi Gus,

your posting is fairly old and I hope you already figured it out by now!
Anyway, try setting the JRST jumper on the board and check the box that is labeled "Use DTR/RTS for Reset and Boot Loader Selection" on the Philips flash utility.

Bobo
By Rhino
I would like to know which baudrate u have to chose for programming this way. Cause i get message "Cannot cummunicate with board" all the time.
By xvp
I read that the baudrate is automatically selected in a special piece of the bootloader software called "autobaud". The computer connected via USB to the LPC board is supposed to send question marks (ASCII '?' ) to the board. The board then tries to synchronize with that and sends something like "Synchronized." back to the computer when completed.

However, I also tried all this *and* the Philips utility (communications error) and my board (E2129) still doesn't work. I wonder what's wrong. I think either there is no bootloader loaded on chip by default (???) or the chip is defective.

-- Edwin
By xvp
I was able to program the LPC2129 chip using the ARM-JTAG adapter. However, typical uart0 (rs-232) "Hello world!" output from the board was received as garbage by the terminal program on the PC.

I tried the board on another USB port of my PC. Then everything (including the Philips flash utility) started working !!!

I had a similar USB/FTDI problem before when trying to program an Altera FPGA through an external USB 2.0 hub / FTDI combination. Strange. I don't get why the FTDI part is detected but doesn't work properly behind a hub or in specific USB ports on the motherboard (I assume those are "hubbed" too).

-- Edwin