SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By silic0re
There are some beautiful new OLED displays coming out that are about 2.4/2.8" wide -- a really handy size. Here is a link below:

http://www.osddisplays.com/oled.php

Specifically, the OSD024AMQV-T (2.4", 320x240, and either RGB or SPI interface) looks amazing. I know Sparkfun has recently started carrying OLED screens with a high-level controller built in, but for some of us who prefer low-level interfaces, I'd love to see some OLED displays without the external controller, that were more economical.

thanks!
By inventore123
Me too :D
A display with a low-level interface allows to send data faster than simple but slow serial-based display (I'm not talking about SPI displays, they are quite fast too, I'm talking about display+micorcontroller+115200 serial port)
And that display seems to have a controller chip with framebuffer, so it won't be that difficult to use.

It would also be nice a cheap monochrome OLED
By b_bogk77
I would like on of them too.
A barebone LCD/OLED with a breakout board and I would buy one right away.

The serial interface is nice, but I want higher frame rates.

www.osddisplays.com OLEDs looks like the one 4dSystem is using. Do they have specifications available?

Edit:
Well we could always strip the controller from a 4dSystem AMOLED module as long as we have the specifications for the OLED pannel itself.

Or get the psp LCD and make our own breakout board, but that is a LCD not OLED so it get's a -1 to the coolness factor. :roll:
By inventore123
Really nice specs:
CONTRAST 1/10000(typ.)
BRIGHTNESS 200cd/m2
VIEWING ANGLE 170 degree
RESPONSE TIME 50uS
SIZE 2.83"

It's nearly as big as the PSP LCD, but it has a framebuffer! so no fpga, sram and complex lcd controller :shock: this seems easily interfaceable with a simple microcontroller using parallel (or even spi) connection :)
By silic0re
After mentioning I was just a graduate student, I haven't had any luck with OSD displays. Initially they had said their minimum order quantity is 500, and they're only able to support one order below that for development purposes. (But perhpas that only extends to non-students :) ).

I've just sent an e-mail to vision-opto. Hopefully there will be more luck with them!

I agree, this display seems vastly more useful than the PSP LCD in that, even though it's a little smaller, it contains both a framebuffer and some potentially easy-to-use interfaces. Imagine controlling such a beautiful LCD with nothing more than a small microcontroller over an SPI interface!
By silic0re
I haven't had any luck in trying to obtain a small quantity of these displays :(

perhaps we should light the bat signal and hope that someone from Sparkfun sees it and is able to begin to offer these beautiful looking displays relatively inexpensively in small quantities. :)
By b_bogk77
We could just buy the 4d systems and strip the picaso controller, if we want low level access to the OLED.

As long as we find out what OLED modules they use and the specs for them.
By silic0re
$230 is a little much for a single 2.8" display -- maybe something on the order of $50-75 would be okay.
By mpanetta
silic0re wrote:After mentioning I was just a graduate student, I haven't had any luck with OSD displays. Initially they had said their minimum order quantity is 500, and they're only able to support one order below that for development purposes. (But perhpas that only extends to non-students :) ).

I've just sent an e-mail to vision-opto. Hopefully there will be more luck with them!

I agree, this display seems vastly more useful than the PSP LCD in that, even though it's a little smaller, it contains both a framebuffer and some potentially easy-to-use interfaces. Imagine controlling such a beautiful LCD with nothing more than a small microcontroller over an SPI interface!
I have had real bad luck with OSD-Displays. They do not even reply if they don't think your going to have any quantity business. I have had much better success with US Micro Products http://www.usmicroproducts.com. They have very reasonable prices, and seem to be willing to sell 10's of units (at a great discount from the sample price, it was about 50% for me).

Did you ever hear back from vision-opto?
By silic0re
Unfortunately I haven't heard back from vision-opto. It doesn't look like US micro products has OLED displays near 2.4/2.8" -- I wonder if they might begin to carry them soon?
By mpanetta
silic0re wrote:Unfortunately I haven't heard back from vision-opto. It doesn't look like US micro products has OLED displays near 2.4/2.8" -- I wonder if they might begin to carry them soon?
They do actually I believe. They have some displays that are not on the web page. I asked them if they had any AMOLED displays (which they do not have listed) and they said yes they do and sent me the data sheet for one.

I would call and ask, they are very good on the phone.

Mike
By maokh
b_bogk77 wrote:We could just buy the 4d systems and strip the picaso controller, if we want low level access to the OLED.

As long as we find out what OLED modules they use and the specs for them.
I think $230 qty of 1 is fine for display prototyping, especially if you want that cool display controller. Obviously if you went into production with something, costs would be quite low -- even if you oem'ed the picasso controller.

Those bare OLED screens are cheap... now finding a supplier :)
By mpanetta
maokh wrote:
I think $230 qty of 1 is fine for display prototyping, especially if you want that cool display controller. Obviously if you went into production with something, costs would be quite low -- even if you oem'ed the picasso controller.

Those bare OLED screens are cheap... now finding a supplier :)
I think the point of finding someone that sells the bare displays is that its cheaper even in prototype quantities. At least 5 times cheaper if you go by that $230 figure. In fact, I can buy almost 10 of the 160x128 displays I am building a prototype with for that price... Most people that want a bare display aren't going to care about the Picasso controller, so its just an extra expense.

The device I am prototyping has to be as thin and as low power as possible, (which is why I went OLED in the first place) so the Picasso controller would just be an extra drag on the system, and the assembly itself looks to be thicker then my goal of 6-7mm, so its definitely a no go for me.

Its definitely a neat little device for the PIC and AVR ppl that just want a simple serial interface though :)
By Brilldea
I have a lead on 2.0" AMOLED from a distributor here in Hong Kong. I believe they also carry other sizes, but I am most interested in the 2.0" (176x220 resolution) without touch screen.

I am considering buying the displays to sell through www.Brilldea.com, but before I drop the cash for it I wanted to see if there was interest. AMOLEDs are not cheap, not yet, so the selling price I was thinking was US$59.95/display. This is just the display, no additional high level controller, only the glass, FPC and local controller (HX5051-A).