SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ombrastein
Hi

Im trying to make sense of the MOD-MP3 module

Basicly all i need it to do is play the next song whenever a switch is toggled. This switch is like a bumper switch so its not handled by a human. Therfor the onboard stick thingy doesnt help me...

I also would like to use the SC/MMC card slot on it directly saving me the trouble of messing about with reading from the card and xfering back to the VS100 chip. Is there any way to control just the play/pause and skip next functions just thru the spi interface?

Does anyone know of any simple mp3 players out there that can be controled in this way? realy all i need is a simple mp3 player that has its play/pause and skip next "buttons" so i can accsess them and use my own switches ...
By a1bert
ombrastein wrote:IIs there any way to control just the play/pause and skip next functions just thru the spi interface? Does anyone know of any simple mp3 players out there that can be controled in this way?
There's a special bare-bones application that runs on the VS10xx's internal RAM and implements a very simple standalone player that directly accesses MMC/SD. There are versions for a 3-button interface, or control (and code upload) through SCI.

The minumum for a simple (=cheap) player you need VS10xx, a 8kB SPI-EEPROM, MMC/SD, some kind of power supply and 3 buttons with other passive component stuff. It's quite nice if it does what you need, but don't expect bells and whistles..

Check it out at http://www.vlsi.fi/player_vs10xx_proto/player.shtml -> standalone114.zip

-Pasi
By raix
Hey,

i've a project in mind for which this board seems to be perfect.
I want to record a Telephone Conversation (no illegal stuff it's for training purposes). So i need to connect this line to the mic port of the Board and then control the recording/playback by a microcontroller which controls the MP3 Board.

My questions are:
1) Can i simply connect the Telephone line to the Mic Jack?
2) How difficult is it to control the Filesystem (select File for Playback), record and playback Functions of the Board with a microcntroller over SPI.
3) Are seek modes supported? Like skipping forward/backward in 10 second steps.

I've read me through the documentary but these questions are still on my mind.

Thanks!
By a1bert
raix wrote:I want to record a Telephone Conversation
If you want to record with the control of a microcontroller, you should use the traditional approach and handle MMC with the microcontroller. The standalone recorder is not SCI-controllable, and it can not create files (it just overwrites a file provided to it).

You could still use the prototyping board, but with the default vs10xx firmware.

-Pasi
By raix
Of course i want to use another Controller to control the board.
I thought i've written that.

The Version from Sparkfun is based on the original Layout from VLSI http://www.vlsi.fi/player_vs10xx_proto/player.shtml. But there are no major differences in the software, right?
By a1bert
raix wrote:there are no major differences in the software, right?
To have control over the recording, you have to implement FAT filesystem and MMC routines on the microcontroller and handle the ADPCM recording like shown in the chip documentation. Like I said, there is no SCI control in the standalone recorder application (only button controls).

-Pasi