SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By LouisMinos
Hi, I'm an artist who wants to control multiple displays, specifically to send video to each display based on user input.

My question is, what does your experience tell you is the best decision: 4Dsystems LCD's with the high level instructions built in, OSD displays without the "drop-in" capabilities, OR should I just get a bunch of iPod Nanos and communicate with them serially by building a custom docking station?

Here are some of the negatives and positives I've come up with for each direction:

1.) iPod Nano

negatives: expensive, limited future for applying knowledge beyond this specific application (can't dynamically write to screen)
positives: high quality display with video in mind, built-in storage, audio/video sync at 30fps, simplest interfacing instructions

2.) 4Dsystems Serial QVGA LCD Module 2.2"

negatives: expensive, maxes out between 20-25fps (thus no audio/video sync), slow writing to screen interface
positives: potential for applying knowledge to future applications, built-in storage, built-in driver, larger display, simple instructions

3.) OSD OSD028AMQV-F, 2.8 inch OLED

negatives: no built-in storage, complex instructions, needs breakout board and driver
positives: cheap, great potential for applying knowledge to future applications, largest display, OLED, fast interface for writing pixel data

-----------

As mentioned, I'm an artist, not a programmer or engineer... although I do have experience with PIC micro-controllers and LED control using C.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. thanks
By pma
What is your specifical requirements for "sending video" over serial? Compression standard? Bit rate?
That will give some indication as to how much horsepower you need your displays to have...

Regards,
Pete
By Henri
enrico_c wrote:Hello Louis,

could be useful to you this interface ?

http://www.lcdinfo.com/products/usbd480-lq043.html

Enrico
Thanks for suggesting that Enrico :) Glad to see someone thinks that could be a useful device for some applications.

Like Pete said the original post is a bit vague about what is actually required. It mentions sending video to multiple displays. From where would this video be sent? From a PC? Some other device with USB host? If that is the case then the USBD480 might work quite well.