SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By bwells
Can someone suggest how I could measure the distance one Arduino/XBee is from another Arduion/XBee?

How far away can an an XBee be from another Xbee and still give me an accurate distance measure (if its even possible)?

Thanks
By Vraz
I doubt this is possible. The only thing you can really query which would give any indication is signal strength. However, there are so many factors which influence signal strength that I don't think you could draw any useful conclusions from the data.
By stevech
bwells wrote:Can someone suggest how I could measure the distance one Arduino/XBee is from another Arduion/XBee?

How far away can an an XBee be from another Xbee and still give me an accurate distance measure (if its even possible)?

Thanks
to make a long complicated topic short - not practical.

read about the inverse square law in radio propagation. And non-line-of-sight RF attenuation.

there are elaborate schemes using multiple receivers and calibration data. And "TDOA" techniques. And others. But, too complicated
By bwells
I can work with line-of-sight. So maybe that would simplify things.
By matkey
Nope. Cant easily be done. Say you are measuring the RSSI and get value X. I walk by with a nice loud RF tone generator, and your RSSI now goes to Max. Or someone else walks by with exactly the same setup as you, and you suddenly get value X, max, value X, max etc
As previous posters have said, there are all sorts of reasons why this doesnt work :(
By stevech
bwells wrote:I can work with line-of-sight. So maybe that would simplify things.
read about 1st principles: inverse square law.