SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By Dinesh
Hi,

I am using Olimex's LCP2478 STK board. I am not able to download HEX code using RS232 and Flash Magic. I have colsed ISP jumper still it is executing existing Linux code. Has anybody faced such problem?
Please suggest solution.

Thanks,
Dinesh
By Supraman
Hi Dinesh

I have also recently bought the LPC-2478-STK card, and had difficulties getting Flash Magic to work.
I did manage it eventually using a fully wired NULL modem cable with all handshake lines, connected to the serial port on my ARM-USB-OCD JTAG interface. My laptop doesn't have a serial port :-(
It seems that one of the critical bits is that Flash magic needs to get control of the reset line, on RS232 D type pin 6, and the ISP_E line on pin 8.

So basically you need a serial cable with 9 pin female d types each end wired like this:-

1 - 1
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - 6
6 - 4
7 - 8
8 - 7
5 - 5

Where the normal RS232 usage would be:-
1 - Frame ground (N/U)
2 - Rx Data
3 - Tx Data
4 - DTR
5 - Signal Ground
6 - DSR
7 - RTS
8 - CTS
9 - N/U

But of course Pins 6 and 8 are really used for control on the LPC-2478-STK end.

So having sorted out your cable, next you need to close both the ISP_E and RST_E jumpers on the LPC-2478-STK.

In FLASH Magic you need to set your oscillator speed to 12.000000 (Mhz)

Then in advanced options tick the "Use DTR and RTS to control RST and P0.14" option.

I also had the "Keep RTS asserted ..." option ticked.
With T1 = 50 and T2 = 100.

This allowed me to reprogram the FLASH with U-Boot after corrupting it.

Also see the section "Programming u-boot to the board" in the file "lpc2478stk.pdf" on the CD that came with the board, for a few more clues.

If you have working eclipse project please see my post on 5/10/08 Thanks.

Good Luck.

Kevin.