SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By tomisina
Hi, I have a BlueSMiRF RP-SMA that I put on my 6DoF IMU to improve it's range. I haven't had trouble connecting and talking to the IMU, but when I stream data for ~15 seconds the Bluetooth locks up. If I stream data for 14 seconds, stop, I can keep talking to/configuring/using the IMU...

I reconfigured the BlueSMiRF to work with my IMU, all I had to do was change the baud rate. The BlueSMiRF is configured as follows:

***Settings***
BTA=00066600A68B
BTName=FireFly-A68B
Baudrt=57.6
Parity=None
Mode =Mstr
Authen=0
Encryp=0
PinCod=1234
Bonded=0
Rem=NONE SET

***OTHER Settings***
Profile= SPP
CfgChar= $
SniffEna=0
TX Power=0
IOPorts= 0
IOValues=0
DebugMod=0
RoleSwch=0

***ADVANCED Settings***
SrvName= SPP
SrvClass=0000
DevClass=1F00
InqWindw=0200
PagWindw=0200
CfgTimer=255
StatuStr=NULL

Any suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated.
-Tommy
By tomisina
I was able to fix this problem by configuring the BlueSMiRF to 'Fast Mode' which is just 'F,1' in configure mode. What's the contrary... Slow Mode? Anywho, it's working now!
By Billbo911
tomisina wrote:I was able to fix this problem by configuring the BlueSMiRF to 'Fast Mode' which is just 'F,1' in configure mode. What's the contrary... Slow Mode? Anywho, it's working now!
I have been experiencing similar disconnects with a BlueSMiRF Gold. After a few seconds of streaming a series of printf's through the SMiRF, it drops the connection and can only be recovered by power cycling.
If I put the SMiRF in "Fast Data" mode via. F,1 the disconnects do not occur. (Thanks for the fix tomisina!!)
So, now the question is, is there a way to get the BlueSMiRF to power up in the Fast Data mode. Can this mode be set up as a default?
By antohav
Hello, I seem to be having the same issue, except I have the BlueDongle instead of the smirf. I tried putting the device in fast mode but the problem persists. I have a feeling its not registering my command since it just seems like the perfect fix :) Is there a way to see if its in fast mode or not?
By rkrishnan7
It appears that in my case the BlueSmirf Gold that I'm using does "remember" Fast Mode, I struggled a long time messing withe my Serial Port Code unnecessarily until I googled this result.
Thanks Billbo911!
By nmatsuda
I'm having a similar issue, where the blueSMiRF HID connects and then disconnects after a few seconds. Setting to fast mode doesn't seem to work. Weirdly, the F,1 command just returns "ERR", but ATMF appears to work. Not sure if they're the same thing or not. Also, when connecting to an iPhone the connection doesn't drop, the issue just appears to be with a macbook.

Any ideas?
By jaredcrogers
I'm having a similar issue, where the blueSMiRF HID connects and then disconnects after a few seconds. Setting to fast mode doesn't seem to work. Weirdly, the F,1 command just returns "ERR", but ATMF appears to work. Not sure if they're the same thing or not. Also, when connecting to an iPhone the connection doesn't drop, the issue just appears to be with a macbook.
nmatsuda and I are using on the same piece of hardware. By changing to "Pair" mode ( SM, 6 ) I now get a consistent connection to laptop and desktop.

New problem: every 5 seconds the connection is interrupted (momentary red LED followed by 5 seconds of green LED & functionality).

It is so consistent and exact I I'm hopeful that something like "Fast Mode" would fix it. But I'm getting the same error when I try to enter F,1. Is there a prior step required?