SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mitchschaft
Thanks!
By mitchschaft
Hello, I'm curious at what type of oscope I should be looking at if any of you have some suggestions. I still want to pursue this little, almost hopeless, project :D.
By mitchschaft
I bought a second one of these for my daughter's room. This project is slow-going, so I'm still looking for answers on my question above.
By mitchschaft
Last edited by mitchschaft on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
By inventore123
I've read your posts fast, so I may be wrong, but it seems that you've got a missing chip on your board that seems to be a MAX232, and it seems very likely used for debugging. Try to solder tiny wires to pin #9 and #11 that, from the second image you posted seem to be TXD and RXD (download the MAX232 datasheet to find more info). Try connecting this http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=718
to TXD, RXD and GND. Then connect it to a computer, and start a program like hyperterminal. With the oscilloscope it will be possible to find the baud rate of the device. I think this is a way to start understanding how it works.
By mitchschaft
Thank you very much. That will be my order of the day(month?) and I'll report back soon.
By mitchschaft
Last edited by mitchschaft on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By inventore123
Ok, it looks that the pin voltages you measured do make sense ;)
Pin 16 is +3.3V in the MAX3232 package and it's ok
Remember not to connect it to the USB adapter: that's because the USB adapter it's self powered. There should be only 3 wires between board and adapter: TX, RX and GND.

TX and RX are most likely to be found among pin 12, 11 and 9
Pin 11 is the only (of the 3 pins) that is an input in the (not mounted) chip, so it is likely connected to the output of the processor. Here is where you will find if the processor responds to debug data, and here is where you can find the baud rate. it should also be connected to the RXD pin of the USB adapter.

pin 12 or pin 9 should be connected to TXD of the USB adapter, and start send random data throug hyperterminal, watching on the oscope if any response on pin 11. Which one? from the image you posted, following traces on the pcb, it looks that pin 9 is most probably the right one, but try also pin 12.

Now the bad thing is pin 15, since it should be ground, and placed @ 0v, while it's @ 3.3v
anyway, even this does make sense, since pulling it high might mean putting the (not mounted) chip in standby. The bad thing is that if the cpu puts it in standby it might not accept at all debug commands, since it believes that nothing should come from a shutdown chip :( so if you always fail getting responses, than you need to find what triggers the debug port active. for example, try booting that device while pushing some key, something like "type del to enter the bios" on PCs. Of course, you should monitor pin 15, and when it falls @ 0v, it means that you performed the right action, and that the device is ready to accept debug commands :D

All I said might be wrong, because I don't have much hardware hacking experience, but that's my opinion.
By mitchschaft
Awesome, I will get to work. You're the only one helping so your tips are vital!
By cj
After further research the MAX3221 looks like the exact match. The SP3220 would also work as an alternate. The MAX3221 uses pin 10 and 12 for power management. These pins are not implemented on the SP3220 and appear not to be used on the MCE
By mitchschaft
Thanks! I'm still looking for guidance if you're interested in offering any. My wedding is coming up in a few weeks and I'll have to continue after that!
By cj
I am hoping to install the MAX3221 next week. With the MFG jumper installed I can see data going to the debug port pin 11 with a scope. It will be interesting to see what is coming out.

My next step will be to remove the firmware prom and install a socket. I will save the prom contents to a file to try an decipher the contents.
By cj
I installed the MAX3221 and connected it to my PC serial port. Set the port to 115200,n,8,1.
With the MFG jumper intalled the unit loops on diagnostics tests.
Without the jumper there are bootup messages being output.

In the middle of the bootup there is the message 'CMD ?'
If I press y I get at prompt READY> If I type ? or help there are several commands.

+++: CMD?
---: BootLog time 0

READY> ?

SERIAL MODE COMMANDS ARE:
SETMAC aabbccddeeff - Program MAC address into EEPROM
GETMAC - Show the MAC address
IDMAN - Show the bootloader IDMAN header
ERASE - Erase the App and Persist Flash
ERASEALL - Erase all of flash
REBOOT - Reboot the system
STRESS - Run a stress test
QUIT - Return to the bootloader
DIAG - Load a program over the network
HELP - Print this message
? - Print this message

Is there a way to add attachments ? I have a log file of the bootup.

My next step is to remove the boot flash and install a socket.
I am looking into a Linux kernel for the ATI Xilleon 225. I have located a version of Linux that may work. I am also trying to figure out if it is possible to boot from usb.

If there is anyone with Xilleon experience we could use the help and it would be greatly appreciated.
By wb
Wow, I saw this thread a year ago and I have to say it looks like things coming along nicely.

I wish I had something to add but I can't seem to get anywhere with the Windows extender utils and I don't know enough about hardware hacking to lend any insight. All I can say is good job so far and good luck going forward. It would be nice to have a v1 extender doing more then collecting dust.
By mitchschaft
whoa, wtf. This board did NOT send me email updates, damnit. I wish I saw this!
I just posted on my forum that I was about to resurrect this project again. I am very glad to see someone else on it, too!