SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By dinnovative
OK, new user here. I wanted to post some info and a link to my blog covering a wifi garage door opener project.

First, it uses the SparkFun WiFly shield (made by Roving Networks). This is intended to be a drop-in replacement for an 802.15.4 XBee module. However, it also features a fully functioning TCPIP stack and the ability to connect to standard 802.11b/g networks with MINIMAL configuration. I think this device may be an answer for anyone who needs to interface with the real world and thinks an Arduino is overkill. Plus, you'd still need to provide networking capabilities for the Arduino via another shield.

Anyways, my solution uses the WiFly, a 5v regulator socket, a few basic electronics components (resistors, LEDs, relay, magnetic switch), and provides wireless garage door control and door sensor. Now, you'll need a server or pc to interface with the WiFly, but I expect for most project-oriented people, this is trivial.

Finally, the project provides enough detail for anyone looking to interface a WiFly with a relay. Amazing device -- I just bought two more and I'm now searching for things around the house that I can automate!!!

http://www.dinnovative.com/?p=163

thnx
tod