SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Joku
Thanks heaps Silic0re for the review and example code, I've been ummm'in and ahhh'in over this exact OLED and well.. now I've seen this thread I must try it out.

How is your power board going?
By silic0re
Thanks for the note! I'm glad this information helps, and I'm happy to help. Do post if you get it working, it will be good to see another success story!

The power board was actually sent to Gold Phoenix a few days ago! In a week or two, we should be able to see how that turned out! :)
By silic0re
I've found this display: http://export.farnell.com/1589474/optoe ... 0283qgld-t that looks very similar to the one you used.
Do you think it can be the same display?
The datasheet for it looks virtually identical to the OSD one -- I bet it is the same display. Unfortunately its also about USD$75, more than double what they cost direct.

Vision Opto had them for about $35 if I remember correctly -- and I did eventually get a response from the person. You could always try them?

EDIT: Farnell also has the link to the appnode, which shows all the different wiring schemes and capacitor values (as well as the placement of the blocking diode) : http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/117299.pdf
By rocketbob
Yes the appnote has some details and an example circuit to drive the display, which is valuable for driving other displays with the Samsung controller.

Regards,
Bob
By inventore123
Thank you for your answer.
I'll follow your advice.
By Joku
That Farnell item is AUS$167.68 here in aus in 1-4qty.. roughly $140-$150 US these days.. Farnell au really know how to rip customers off.

No reply from OSD and it's been a week.. will chase them up in a few days if nothing. Annoying because I'm using business email and have a legit business use later if I find it to be good enough in sunlight... all be it not very high volume.. I'm beginning to think the problems you had trying to order weren't just due to your lack of business application.
By free
silic0re:Out of morbid curiosity how much did you pay for this display.It looks really amazing.I was thinking about getting TFT displays from Formike(2.8' with TP) because they are pretty cheap but might consider getting those OLED if the price is good.

Regards!
By free
Nevermind i read your other post and found the answer to my question.

regards
By silic0re
It was written in Microchip MPLAB C30. Are you having issues getting it to compile?
By silic0re
a quick update (mostly for interesting reading :) ):
i've been working to connect the OLED display up to an AT91RM9200, both with serial (SPI) and parallel interfaces (EBI) interfaces. the serial has progressed well, and i've been able to display pictures on the screen through linux on the AT91. i've had quite a bit of trouble with the parallel memory interface, both i think due to my inexperience with accessing and coding for physical memory in linux, and to it being my first try at parallel, high-speed access with this display. it's also really tricky because i don't have tools yet to help with debugging (a JTAG debugger is on it's way from Sparkfun), or a logic analyzer that could capture data at SDRAM memory speeds.

i decided that while the parallel interface is pretty simple conceptually, i'd probably get a lot more from the interface by tinkering around and sending data to it manually -- both to verify that the interface works, and just to learn more about the protocol. i hooked up the OLED breadboard to a Spartan 3E starter kit, and wrote some picoblaze code to interface with it. the OLED can interface either with 8080 (read/write strobe) or 68k (read/write select, output enable) memory modes. The AT91 uses the 68k mode, which I tried (using the FPGA) first -- without much luck. I then switched the OLED's mode select to 8080, switched around a bit of the picoblaze code, and successfully wrote to the display in parallel mode!

(there is a test pattern on the display, but unfortunately it just appears white in this image -- it's actually a whole bunch of lines progressively fading from red to blue)

i'm still not sure why 68k mode wasn't working with the FPGA or AT91, but hopefully with the JTAG debugger I'll be able to manually put data on the EBI data/address lines and see what happens?
By gussy
This looks great, and these displays are so cheap!!

I would really like to see someone using one of these with an LPC21**, like the 2148 SFE uses in most of its bigger projects.

Adding a nice color display with a touch screen for around $30 to a project sounds pretty good to me. Especially when you don't need an FPGA to drive it.

When I get some free time maybe I will have a go at getting some of these to work with the LPC2148.

Cheers :wink:
By gussy
I finally got around to sending an inquiry into OSD for some samples. I am more interested in the 2.4" than the 2.8", but will probably get a few of both.

When I get the display's are get a proto board made, I will post up what (if any :p) success I have had. I will be using a LPC2148, probably with the SPI mode as I only need 2-5FPS.

I want to get the touchscreen ones too, so that will be interesting to see how all that works.
By silic0re
Hey gussy,

You should give vision-opto a try, I recently ordered a small quantity of 2.8" OLED's with the touchpad interface, and they were nothing but helpful through the process.

I have the touchpad sort-of working with an ADS7846 touchpad controller, but so far there's quite a bit of noise in the signal. I have to do some reading on noise reduction in touch screens. I think often (aside from just sticking some filter caps on the lines), the techniques that are used are often in software -- averaging, and other more complicated methods. :)