SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By bulletracker
Hello

Here is how i got back to work all dead XBee modules !
I have saved all my modules with this method ! Now there are all in Firmware 10E8 even if with old firmware 10CD

Module Recovery with Sparfun XBee Explorer Board !
(just like if Firmware 10CD is installed, since there is an issue)

--> Sold a RESET switch on the board (GND-RST)
--> Now you should have all the hardware ready to go. The software should be installed and up-to-date.

1 Connect the interface board to the computer via appropriate cable

2 Open the X-CTU program.

3 The first screen you see in on the PC Settings tab. On this tab and select the proper COM port
and select the proper BAUD rate and check your module is answering (Click the "Test/Query" button)

4 Navigate to the Modem Configuration tab

5 Select the proper modem type, function set and firmware version from the 3 drop down menus located
about 1/3 of the way from the top of the window.

6 Click on the Show Defaults button and put a check in the "Always update firmware" check box.

7 With the Reset Switch on the board, switch to RESET position (holding the RESET position)

8 Click on Write !
An “Action Required” box will appear. This is good !
When this happens, release the RESET switch. You should see the RX led light !

9 If the RX led does not light, repeat switching “Reset”<->”Release” as many time as needed until you see
the RX led lights and Now stay on “Released” position !
You may have to do that many many … many times (even very fast) until the RX led lights.

10 You should now see that box disappear and a progress bar will appear along the bottom of the window.
You will see the bar progress and then the box will appear again. This is good !

11 Just hold in the RESET switch on the interface board for about 1-2 seconds and then release.
The box will disappear and the status at the bottom of the window will show that the write was complete.

12 Go back to the PC Settings tab and change the baud rate back to 9600.

13 Click the "Test/Query" button. You should get a clean bill of health.

Philippe